COLD DARK ROOM

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
Tomorrow I'm getting together with some former co-workers. We usually opt for lunch once a month, but tomorrow we're meeting at 10:30 at The English Tea Room! A cute little restaurant/tea room here in Covington! It's supposed to be pretty authentic and sells lots of English brand teas and biscuits, etc.
I'm considering trying Scotch Eggs, although I'm tempted to try some crumpets: I have no clue what they actually are. Possibly a muffin type thing? :p
They used to have a life-size cardboard cut out of The Queen so people can say they had tea with The Queen. :) Will try to get some photos.

crumpets are kind of like thin pancakes. crumpet is also used to describe a fine looking lady like yourself:)

... ' that's a nice bit of crumpet' ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tomorrow I'm getting together with some former co-workers. We usually opt for lunch once a month, but tomorrow we're meeting at 10:30 at The English Tea Room! A cute little restaurant/tea room here in Covington! It's supposed to be pretty authentic and sells lots of English brand teas and biscuits, etc.
I'm considering trying Scotch Eggs, although I'm tempted to try some crumpets: I have no clue what they actually are. Possibly a muffin type thing? :p
They used to have a life-size cardboard cut out of The Queen so people can say they had tea with The Queen. :) Will try to get some photos.
Sounds lovely.
Scotch eggs are boiled eggs wrapped in a pork meat shell and coated with flavoured breadcrumbs. Yuuuuuummmmyyyyyyyyy.
A crumpet should be full of little holes and when you eat them hot with butter, the butter seeps through. Double yummy..........
Enjoy! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all! After 12 hours in bed, we're both feeling recovered from yesterday's 4am start. A leisurely day ahead of us today.

We have a little apartment - far cheaper than a hotel - and raided a little supermarket yesterday, so coffee is brewing and breakfast is no hassle:)

Congratulations to @Kristoff. We have a CDR Greek as the calendar winner :) I do hope Tidgy isn't too jealous of not getting first place.

I hope there are other CDR pin-ups too :)

I hope you enjoyed your English Tea @Moozillion. Crumpets are like a half in thick circular pancake that have lots of holes (it's actually a yeast batter). They should be eaten toasted with lots of butter, nothing more, and are a lovely comfort food.
Recipe/photo link: http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-home-made-english-crumpets-for-tea-time-421076

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
QI just started with Sandy Toksvig as the new presenter - didn't know Stephen Fry had left the show.
Now I was aware. There's been a bit of a BBC switch around. I listen to Radio 4's news quiz - was Sandi Toksvig now Miles Jupp...
It's Raquel Welch in 1 million years BC
That's a very entertaining film :D Zero plot and very amusing :D

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Sounds lovely.
Scotch eggs are boiled eggs wrapped in a pork meat shell and coated with flavoured breadcrumbs. Yuuuuuummmmyyyyyyyyy.
A crumpet should be full of little holes and when you eat them hot with butter, the butter seeps through. Double yummy..........
Enjoy! :)
Morning, all! I'm getting lots of ideas for our UK trip in January. :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good morning all! After 12 hours in bed, we're both feeling recovered from yesterday's 4am start. A leisurely day ahead of us today.

We have a little apartment - far cheaper than a hotel - and raided a little supermarket yesterday, so coffee is brewing and breakfast is no hassle:)

Congratulations to @Kristoff. We have a CDR Greek as the calendar winner :) I do hope Tidgy isn't too jealous of not getting first place.

I hope there are other CDR pin-ups too :)

I hope you enjoyed your English Tea @Moozillion. Crumpets are like a half in thick circular pancake that have lots of holes (it's actually a yeast batter). They should be eaten toasted with lots of butter, nothing more, and are a lovely comfort food.
Recipe/photo link: http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-home-made-english-crumpets-for-tea-time-421076
Good morning, Linda. :)
Sounds lovely.
I will finally be off on my voyages this evening.
Tidgy isn't jealous, more than happy with a month. :tort:
Anyway, winning means you're on the cover and don't get a month!
Enjoy your day.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Good morning, Linda. :)
Sounds lovely.
I will finally be off on my voyages this evening.
Tidgy isn't jealous, more than happy with a month. :tort:
Anyway, winning means you're on the cover and don't get a month!
Enjoy your day.

Unless it says that specifically in the rules, the cover and monthly assignments are entirely at Josh's discretion. The winner may get the cover but in the past that hasn't been guaranteed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Unless it says that specifically in the rules, the cover and monthly assignments are entirely at Josh's discretion. The winner may get the cover but in the past that hasn't been guaranteed.
Good morninoonevenight, Cameron. :)
Thank you for the info.
I only have first hand experience of last year's contest when the winner did get the cover and no month and the collage of torts not in the top 12 got December.
I still don't want Tidgy to be on the cover!
But of course, it's up to Josh, won't be any arguments from me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternoon.

Another beautiful day in Bordeaux.

I nearly died climbing the 233 steps of the cathedral bell tower this morning - it's hard work when you're not over a cold! It was worth it for the view from the top though. The bell tower was built separately from the cathedral due to the soft marshy land - they didn't want the vibrations of the bells to make the cathedral fall down!

After lunch we went on the open bus tour which was well worth it for the ability to see the bits that are just too far too walk.

So today's postcards

The cathedral from the bell tower
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477148323.548255.jpg

Place de la Bourse
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477148427.082233.jpg

The city hall gates
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477148483.670149.jpg

The Pont Pierre (where pierre means stone not Peter in this case) with another church and separate bellfry in the background
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477148612.407618.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good afternoon.

I nearly died climbing the 233 steps of the cathedral bell tower this morning - it's hard work when you're not over a cold! It was worth it for the view from the top though. The bell tower was built separately from the cathedral due to the soft marshy land - they didn't want the vibrations of the bells to make the cathedral fall down!

After lunch we went on the open bus tour which was well worth it for the ability to see the bits that are just too far too walk.

So today's postcards

View attachment 190150

Place de la Bourse
View attachment 190151

The city hall gates
View attachment 190152

The Pont Pierre (where pierre means stone not Peter in this case) with another church and separate bellfry in the background
View attachment 190153
Beautiful photos as usual. :)
Thanks for posting.
These postcards of yours are greatly appreciated. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good afternoon.

So today's postcards

View attachment 190150

Place de la Bourse
View attachment 190151

The city hall gates
View attachment 190152

View attachment 190153
Good evening Linda.

Wonderful pics! Thanks for posting and hope you're enjoying it back there.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Good afternoon.

So today's postcards

View attachment 190150

Place de la Bourse
View attachment 190151

The city hall gates
View attachment 190152

View attachment 190153
WOW!!!!! :):):)