COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I wonder how long until America gets on board?
Most folks are in confusion as to what the EU even is.
I'm just confused as to why England isn't using "Euros."
The EU began as a trading collaboration.

Some politicians would like to see it become a United States of Europe.

You've had a few hundred years to sort it out in the USA. Separate state governments creating some laws with a national government doing the rest.

In the European Union each country is an independent state. And none of them likes to be told what to do by the central EU government even though they generally agree that being able to trade and move freely between the countries is a good idea.

Monetary union requires all countries in it to stick to the rules. Enforcement is difficult. Unfortunately some are better with rules (Germany) than others (Italy, Greece) which led to big economic problems in the Euro-zone which Germany, as the wealthiest Euro-zone nation, has ended up paying for.

The UK didn't join the Euro because our government suspected that what happened with the Euro would happen - they were proved correct. As a result the recent recession has hit us less badly than other EU nations.

So why would we leave the EU? Because some believe that we would do even better without any direction from the EU and by negotiating our own deals.

This is the equivalent of Hawaii, an island state, deciding to have a referendum to leave the USA because some think they might do better for themselves without the federal government making decisions for them.

It's a very big deal. Arguments have got very bitter. There's been a lot of misinformation on both sides. And, sadly, a few nutters have tried to make this a right wing xenophobic debate using refugee migrants as their excuse to pull up the drawbridge.

The repercussions if we vote out will be huge and not just for us. It could be the start of the break up of the EU which is basically held together by Germany, France and the UK.

And if we vote in? The EU may still fall apart. Today won't be the end of this.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is very much misunderstood by us here. Thanks.
The media has only pro EU people, from what i have seen.
Everyone outside the UK seems to think we'd be nuts to leave (although I'm sure Trump said we should!)

Inside the UK, there are a number of people who don't seem to realise that the British Empire is long gone and will never return. We'll continue to be a respected (generally) nation, but we're not going to be a global superpower again.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Everyone outside the UK seems to think we'd be nuts to leave (although I'm sure Trump said we should!)

Inside the UK, there are a number of people who don't seem to realise that the British Empire is long gone and will never return. We'll continue to be a respected (generally) nation, but we're not going to be a global superpower again.

in, out, in out and shake it all about! you do the hokie cokie and you turn around.... that's what its all about ;)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Between 75 and 86. Great. I've got the surgery consultation scheduled for July 13th.

that's brilliant news ed :) so glad it's staying down. can't believe you're appointment is the 13th, it's fidos birthday on the 10th, jades the 11th, and mine on the 12th.

so pleased for you the meds are working, it's a temporary fix i know, but you must be feeling relieved? I actually downloaded on of the BPM apps... at the age of around 15, resting i was around 55 BPM. using the app it is now around 60?!! i tried a few different apps, can't believe it's still so low

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
pizza for tea again:/ its past the best before date so needs eaten. tonight I'm going to build up an album on my phone of pictures of my scratch removal... a portfolio if you will. building my case for wage rise...buy end of July i will be world class show car qualified ;)fully self sufficient and mobile. on top of that i have proven i can handle running anywhere i am placed with 100% feedback, deal with attitude from staff, and have also trained up guys and advised on hiring and firing.

come on guys, how can they say no, my sales pitch and CV rock:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
pizza for tea again:/ its past the best before date so needs eaten. tonight I'm going to build up an album on my phone of pictures of my scratch removal... a portfolio if you will. building my case for wage rise...buy end of July i will be world class show car qualified ;)fully self sufficient and mobile. on top of that i have proven i can handle running anywhere i am placed with 100% feedback, deal with attitude from staff, and have also trained up guys and advised on hiring and firing.

come on guys, how can they say no, my sales pitch and CV rock:D
With pics don't forget costomer comments in righting !