Cohabbiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmajr

5 Year Member
Just a quick question, is i possible for the mediterranean spur thigh tortoise to live with the marginated tortoise of the same age, as to my knowledge they both require a similar environment as they are both mediteranean species.

Mark

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Mark,

Normally it's not a good idea to mix species, but some, like many Northern Mediterranean species do have similar environmental needs. More importantly is knowing the origin of your tortoises. Not only their environment in the wild but their origin in captivity. It is not usually recommended to mix tortoises without first quarantining newer animals for health and safety reasons of both the current and the new animal. There are many "Mediterranean spur thigh" tortoises out there available right now. Most currently available are from the MiddleEast, not the Northern Mediterranean where Marginateds are found. Their environmental requirements do differ.

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Its a normally a bad idea to mix tortoises as GB said but he is wrong about one thing, no matter where a Greek Tortoise comes from they require the same enviormental needs from the middle east to Southern Greece so you shouldnt worry about that.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Many people do mix and have success but it is not something most people will reccommend. I do not practice this with my tortoises.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the forum! My general thought is if they wouldn't cross paths in the wild they shouldn't in captivity either (and if two torts are ever houses together they should have a quarantine period too). I don't know enough about these breeds to say specifically though.

Status
Not open for further replies.