Coconut substrate choosing

Steve&May

Location (City and/or State)
Lviv, Ukraine
A year ago I bought coconut substrate (from the picture). My first tortoise started eating it, so I changed it. But my second tortoise had lived in that substrate before I took it from another owner, who wanted to simply get rid of Maya. So, now I am thinking about using the part of coconut substrate that I still have. May you please tell me if it is safe to use it? Because I think it may harm their eyes...
20220318_233300.jpg

Steve&May

Lviv, Ukraine
A year ago I bought coconut substrate (from the picture). My first tortoise started eating it, so I changed it. But my second tortoise had lived in that substrate before I took it from another owner, who wanted to simply get rid of Maya. So, now I am thinking about using the part of coconut substrate that I still have. May you please tell me if it is safe to use it? Because I think it may harm their eyes...
View attachment 342023
Or is it better to purchase this one?Screenshot_20220318-231349_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220318-231149_Chrome.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir that is not infused with stuff to grow plants in is fine and won't hurt eyes.
If you or someone else have already used it then its fine.
Coconut coir and fine grade orchid bark are the recommended substrates used alone or as a combo of the two.

Steve&May

Lviv, Ukraine
Coconut coir that is not infused with stuff to grow plants in is fine and won't hurt eyes.
If you or someone else have already used it then its fine.
Coconut coir and fine grade orchid bark are the recommended substrates used alone or as a combo of the two.
Thank you! Also, I would like to ask about humidity. Should it be approximately 40-60 for Russian tortoises? I have read a few articles from different sources and now I am not sure about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! Also, I would like to ask about humidity. Should it be approximately 40-60 for Russian tortoises? I have read a few articles from different sources and now I am not sure about it.
I don't worry too much about ambient humidity for Russians. A thick damp substrate, daily soaks for babies, and a humid hide should be enough. I pay more attention to these details for hatchlings, and less for adults that are done growing.

Steve&May

Lviv, Ukraine
I don't worry too much about ambient humidity for Russians. A thick damp substrate, daily soaks for babies, and a humid hide should be enough. I pay more attention to these details for hatchlings, and less for adults that are done growing.
Thank you😊

Steve&May

Lviv, Ukraine
Thanks😊