Climbing..

soph.h

Location (City and/or State)
England
Help!!
my tortoise loves to climb and slide down from ramps or my lap or anywhere he can reach. It seems to entertain him but I'm worried because he lands on his face a lot. Maybe I'm being paranoid but is there any chance he could break his neck or anything? He's pretty good in that he very rarely ends up on his back but I would hate for something to happen to him

if anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
He can flip over when you aren't watching and die or fall on the floor and chip his beak, maybe he needs a bigger enclosure. My opinion only, I am not an expert nor have a ramp

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They love to climb and their aim is escape. As hatchlings they climb and topple and over time annoyed me as I had to remove all obstacles when I was at work for the day. Over time as they grow gravity takes over and when they climb they tend to slide back or down. I never had a concern over the neck it detracts very fast. You must ensure adequate substrate is available for them to land and not stones that could be a hard landing. If you handle alot they can bite so be careful of that beak.