Snoopy will not climb

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
There are a lot of stories and tips on keeping torts from climbing out of their enclosure, but since we got Snoopy back from his 5-month "field trip" he wonʻt climb anything. There is a buried half log hide thing to climb over, a cement log-thing, overturned terra cotta saucer, and some branches I threw in hoping it would seem a little more real. He wonʻt climb over those, instead heʻll walk around them, or tromp through his water dish to get where he wants to.

He does fine in the water treadmill and his gait is okay. The only things different about him since he got back is not climbing and a weird food aggression thing. After I put his food on his slate if my hand goes anywhere near his food heʻll scurry over and lay on it. He stays like that for a while even after I walk away. Any suggestions?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'm guessing s/he went missing for 5 months in the neighborhood?

You've probably got a combination of instincts kicking in (food doesn't just *show up* in the wild - grab it!), plus good-old-experience (if you flip in the wild, you have to un-flip yourself - be careful and for goodness sake, stay where it's flat!).

Mind your fingers, but see if some time passing sorts things out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort doesn't climb either, but that may be to do with the fact that he has a rear left foot missing so his balance is wonky. When I've heard of torts flipping I've always been quite relieved that he's not a climber.
If you want him to climb for exercise or to strengthen his legs maybe make him a gentle hill out of his substrate or a double sided ramp for him to walk over.
My tort is like that with food too, he has no intention of sharing!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I'm guessing s/he went missing for 5 months in the neighborhood?

You've probably got a combination of instincts kicking in (food doesn't just *show up* in the wild - grab it!), plus good-old-experience (if you flip in the wild, you have to un-flip yourself - be careful and for goodness sake, stay where it's flat!).

Mind your fingers, but see if some time passing sorts things out.
Ahhh, that makes sense. Yes, it’s a long story but he’s home. Thank goodness for a chip on his shell for identifying marks!