Cherry Head Hatchlings have landed

xirxes

Starting my long term log here for the 5 cherry heads that arrived today. In that they live for 50+ years I'm waiting on names for fit.

Without further adieu!

8cffd2a6240506ddcd2e114b738ab1fd.jpg
e07b807128ef4107581660210e161795.jpg
1ff72cae49a624d79e8b05600f1a20b4.jpg
a0fc63279d981e7bcb3fcffccb765f3e.jpg
7029a808dcf6e75ca3ab59e52dd0b72b.jpg

First meal

allegraf

10 Year Member!
So much fun when they make their appearance! Congrats!

TempestRising

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas

I love watching Kamp Kenan! My 10 yr old started watching him which led to my interest in raising RFs after a lonnngggg research process on which tort would be best for my family. He does offer broad care tips BUT my finding this forum is what has really helped in my journey thus far!

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Huh. I asked this question but didn't see this video. I'll listen to it later after work.
I have a playlist of youtube videos on Tortoise care! I found most here in the forum. But I was watching Kenan with the kids well before I joined the club! You should check him out later when you have the time. :)

xirxes

If you followed my enclosure thread, you may notice that I get a little.....in depth with my projects for our animals.

I am quite sure that I have read and reread 98% of the pertinent information available on the web about this species in prep. Every link and further in page link for the first two pages of google search results are committed to memory.

I also picked the brains of the old hats here on the boards.

Tom (wisely) advised against keeping jungle tortoises in a desert, but since we have an average low humidity of 70% here in San Diego, and I don't mind getting exotic with preparations, I forged on.

I have no doubt that heat, humidity, UV and home grown diet/Mazuri/small protein diet are fully met at the moment.

I am currently testing how ramping temps will affect a functionally closed plexiglass system outside, and how much "drying out" I will need to allow to avoid coco husk/coir rot, fungus and Cthulu forbid, shell rot.

Obligatory hatchling photo!
4b213acb185fbb8a1cb4d37db996caf2.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kenan I think forgets that everyone watching isn't from steamy Florida.
I like a lot of his Florida tips, but some of them wouldn't translate into very cold or dry areas.
I've just now begun to toss dry Mazuri chow to my adult Redfoot. Just like he does. Food for everyone in a rush.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Kenan I think forgets that everyone watching isn't from steamy Florida.
I like a lot of his Florida tips, but some of them wouldn't translate into very cold or dry areas.
I've just now begun to toss dry Mazuri chow to my adult Redfoot. Just like he does. Food for everyone in a rush.
Just watched both vids in this thread. Do we know if he has adults that he grew from the egg that look smooth and healthy. Not just 1 or 2 but a few.

xirxes

I do not believe that he has grown out any of his current adults.

He does have 1 year olds that are looking quite smooth and promising:

fcc73258f07e2e5d9b158e98bb86c8e3.jpg

Also I can confidently say that 8 of his 12 or so adults I would consider "completely smoothe", 2 more to be "mostly smooth" and only 2 to show any mild to moderate pyramiding.

This is reference from personal video of each in his breeding group.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I do not believe that he has grown out any of his current adults.

He does have 1 year olds that are looking quite smooth and promising:

fcc73258f07e2e5d9b158e98bb86c8e3.jpg

Also I can confidently say that 8 of his 12 or so adults I would consider "completely smoothe", 2 more to be "mostly smooth" and only 2 to show any mild to moderate pyramiding.

This is reference from personal video of each in his breeding group.
Those adults looked fantastic. Are these in this photo the 1 yr olds?

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Obligatory hatchling photo!
4b213acb185fbb8a1cb4d37db996caf2.jpg

Really amazing pic! Love the color of your hatchlings. We are planning to add 3 more to our family over the next 6 months. One here soon in July to help curb the Baby Bullying habits! Also enlarging the indoor closed chamber to make room to quarantine the new hatchlings coming in all in one enclosure. I'm not as lucky as @Anyfoot His Tortoise House is Off the charts!