Chasing

Should Male & female tortoises live together in one habitat?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wclaver

5 Year Member
I just adopted a pair of male & female Russian Tortoises. The male is relentless in chasing and trying to mount the female in the habitat. The female wants nothing to do with him (guess our species have something in common!) Is it unhealthy or overly stressful for the female to be in the same habitat as the male? Should I separate them? How long will the male's hormones be this active?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Male russians are aggressive (understatement) in breeding, reminds me of myself to be honest. Remember in the wild a male russian won't encounter a female every year sometimes, so to all of the sudden have access to a female 24/7, tortoise heaven for him. To keep a pair ( mine are kept separate) you need a large outdoor enclosure. The female will be stressed out all of the time, which is not good and could lead to illness. Remember you have to do what is best for the tortoise, so the female will greatly appreciate it if she has a separate home, they don't need friends or companions. If you don't ever plan on breeding then permanent enclosure is probably best.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Hey I'm trying to breed
Mine but as you said he's mounting 24/7 what do I do I have two females but one is not mature do I separate them every certain amount of time. I'm trying to breed them so if its possible to keep them together that would be nice I'm going to make them a baby pool sized enclosure would that help ?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.