Changed Substrate/Question

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
I finally got my box turtle enclosure done, I was just using Repti bark substrate and leaves but added Eco Earth today, I mixed Repti bark and Eco Earth in one tote, the other tote is half rock, Repti bark at one end and then the other end is just Eco Earth (I posted pic in my other thread), I was also just using the UVB and heat lamp on one tote (the tote with the water/food dish etc) but I decided to put the UVB light over both totes today after I got done adding Eco Earth. Before I put Eco Earth and the UVB lamp on the other tote, she would always dig down deep in the Repti bark and leaves, it would be hard to find her, but now she's sleeping in the corner and she's not really deep in the substrate, she's on top of the substrate but still under the leaves, I can see her head. It's probably a stupid question but is this normal? Do you just think it's cause the UVB light is now on that side and she's a little warmer than before?

Last edited:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
She's probably just basking in the sunshine. My little one stays under the leaf litter for hours, but when I go in the room and make a little noise, her head pops up to see what's going on. Just make sure it's warm and moist. I'm sure she's fine.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durham, NC
I finally got my box turtle enclosure done, I was just using Repti bark substrate and leaves but added Eco Earth today, I mixed Repti bark and Eco Earth in one tote, the other tote is half rock, Repti bark at one end and then the other end is just Eco Earth (I posted pic in my other thread), I was also just using the UVB and heat lamp on one tote (the tote with the water/food dish etc) but I decided to put the UVB light over both totes today after I got done adding Eco Earth. Before I put Eco Earth and the UVB lamp on the other tote, she would always dig down deep in the Repti bark and leaves, it would be hard to find her, but now she's sleeping in the corner and she's not really deep in the substrate, she's on top of the substrate but still under the leaves, I can see her head. It's probably a stupid question but is this normal? Do you just think it's cause the UVB light is now on that side and she's a little warmer than before?
I have the same exact setup (repti bark and leaves). Currently in the process of upgrading to a larger, better enclosure. Been navigating the site and getting tips on substrate and think I'm going to go with organic soil, some repti bark, peat moss, and maybe some coco coir and leaves.
My turtle loves the leaves in his enclosure. He comes out to eat and drink then goes right back in and peaks out.