CEMENT POND-HOW BIG? APPROX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will be building the shallow pond for my babcocki leopard tortoise. However he/she is only 11 mo. old now. I need to know how big around to make the pond for adult size? I KNOW they all grow differently. However if I can get an idea of the size range, hopefully I will only have to do it once. I am hoping it's a male, incubated at 84, so adult male sizes would be appreciated. Again, I know it is hard to say, I just need approx.:D
Thank you

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Your Not Gonna Get a Perfect Approx. Size As An Answer, But you Will Get a Member that Shares Some Great info.

It Depends on The Outdoor Enclosure, How big it. have you measured it?

Maybe a 3x3 Foot?
4x4 Foot One?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The whole area is approx. 15 feet long with diff. Widths of 3,4 and 5 feet.

Jacob said:
Your Not Gonna Get a Perfect Approx. Size As An Answer, But you Will Get a Member that Shares Some Great info.

It Depends on The Outdoor Enclosure, How big it. have you measured it?

Maybe a 3x3 Foot?
4x4 Foot One?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Nice Size, a 3x4 or 4x4 would be ideal.
something shallow, leopards only get 45-60ish pounds in captivity.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Sounds like you are making a cement creek more than a pond. You are doing alot of work, but one thing about leopards is they don't need a big pond. I have three adults and a 2' round water dish, 4" deep. Even in a hot Houston summer they will go drink but not get into the water. So I wouldn't make your pond more than 4 inches deep. An adult will get between 12" and 20" in length usually. You don't want the pond any deeper than they can lay in it and still keep theri head above water easily. They don't swim much, so too deep and they might have a problem.

I'd like to see pictures when you finish because I have been toying with the idea of a similar project. Good luck! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, just a small shallow pond. The dimensions was of the whole enclosure. I know they can't swim, that's why it is going to be shallow. I do want it big enough for him to get into should he want to soak. My leopard loves his soaks now and also does it some himself. I will definitely post pics. I should be able to start some or most of it in the next two weeks. So 2 feet round or 2x2 square, 4 inch deep max for an adult. I will be filling it in with rocks for him to use at his age now. Then I can just remove some or all as he gets larger.
Thanks.:D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
That will work to.
Everyone will be looking forward to seeing pictures when your done :)

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
rw1.JPGrw2.JPGHeres one I use for one of my Radiateds...It's about 3' around kinda shallow..and its on an auto water system...I keep it shallow to make it easy to clean....I just shaped it in the dirt. pressed in some natural d.g. I got from a landscaping supply witch made It brownish and rough and BOOM you have A tort water!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like it. Just what I want to do. But what is d.g.? I like the look better than plain cement. I want to put a drain in it. I could do that using the d.g. right?
Thanks for the pics. I will be adding to my favorites:D

eriksorg said:
Heres one I use for one of my Radiateds...It's about 3' around kinda shallow..and its on an auto water system...I keep it shallow to make it easy to clean....I just shaped it in the dirt. pressed in some natural d.g. I got from a landscaping supply wich made It brownish and rough and BOOM you have A tort water!!!

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
Decomposed granite..d.g.!!! You want to make the concrete so your animal can have "traction" in and out of its water...Also you may want to add gravel to the bottom if your tort is too small...so he or she doesn't drown intill it gets bigger.....

OH..and also fill + drain many, many times BEFORE you let your tort drink out of it!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
eriksorg said:
Decomposed granite..d.g.!!! You want to make the concrete so your animal can have "traction" in and out of its water...Also you may want to add gravel to the bottom if your tort is too small...so he or she doesn't drown intill it gets bigger.....

OH..and also fill + drain many, many times BEFORE you let your tort drink out of it!!!

Fill and drain many, many times why? I would anyway just because. But is there a reason with the d.g. And thanks for explaining the meaning of d.g. How about just adding sand to the cement? Would give traction, and the brownish color.

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
You drain and refill to clean off the various minerals and chemicals that come to the surface of your curing concrete...the d.g. also gives the surface a pitted look....the sand is neutral, so it won't color anything...but it will rough-up the surface...you can also lightly "brush" the surface with a small broom as it dries that looks and works good too...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of store? Do I get the d.g. from? Like a home depot or more like a stone, marble, granite, etc yard? I think I like the idea of the d.g. best. I like the color.:D

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
If you can wait, I can get you some close-ups of that waterer and another one that has been " brushed"...the d.g. I use is called "Mexican brown"...I use it as part of a dirt area in one tort pen and I mixed it with the concrete in the above pen ...when the cement in it starts to dry I wash off the d.g.in the surface to create the "pits"...I got the brown d.g. at KRC rock here in So Cal...I will try to get you pictures of all sometime this weekend...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That would be great thank you. I have lots of time. I will be out of town until tues. So I am not ignoring you if I don't respond until then. Thanks again. Have a great weekend.:D

eriksorg said:
If you can wait, I can get you some close-ups of that waterer and another one that has been " brushed"...the d.g. I use is called "Mexican brown"...I use it as part of a dirt area in one tort pen and I mixed it with the concrete in the above pen ...when the cement in it starts to dry I wash off the d.g.in the surface to create the "pits"...I got the brown d.g. at KRC rock here in So Cal...I will try to get you pictures of all sometime this weekend...

eriksorg

10 Year Member!
Trinidad Colorado
Heres the pics!!!
The first #4 are brushed..The last one is de one with the d.g...also the 4th one is ready to be redone...stepped on it too many times when mowing!!!

Attachments

• x11.JPG
    x11.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • x21.JPG
    x21.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • x31.JPG
    x31.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • x41.JPG
    x41.JPG