Cautious Dinosaur

Papabear10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
How long does it usually take for a tortouse to be comfy around you? Ive had Tank around a yr. She opens up to me the most but is still very cautious around all of us. I hand feed her alot and when she wants to come in the house she comes to me but when i pet her i have to move really slow. Sometimes i can pet the top of her head but no way can i pet under her mouth. I am patient with her and will continue to be, after all shes my tiny dinosaur.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So will some won't get comfy. What you are getting might be it. Then again as she gets older and bigger she might give you more. Just have too remember it's not a dog. Be patient and enjoy what she gives. Some torts are always skittish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long does it usually take for a tortouse to be comfy around you? Ive had Tank around a yr. She opens up to me the most but is still very cautious around all of us. I hand feed her alot and when she wants to come in the house she comes to me but when i pet her i have to move really slow. Sometimes i can pet the top of her head but no way can i pet under her mouth. I am patient with her and will continue to be, after all shes my tiny dinosaur.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What size is your tortoise and what age?

I find that they get a lot more fearless once they hit about 14-15". When they are smaller than that in the wild, everything tries to eat them.

Papabear10

San Antonio, Texas
Do you have a dog?
Yes. We have 3 dogs . 2 large and 1 med. But they dont bother her . they just sniff her and keep there distance. Shes not afraid of them unless they are running up from behind her. The dogs even try to eat the weeds that she eats but then they spit it out lol.

Papabear10

San Antonio, Texas
What size is your tortoise and what age?

I find that they get a lot more fearless once they hit about 14-15". When they are smaller than that in the wild, everything tries to eat them.
Tank is about 4 to 4 and a half yrs old. Her shell alone is 11" long and 9" wide. She weighs about 30 lbs.