Caramel albino redfoot

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
OK. I have got some useful and interesting information re UVA and UVB and what they are responsible for. But I thought that an animal or human that is albino, actually should stay out of the sun! So if you are an albino tortoise or lizard, but yet you need the sunlight to be healthy and use your D3, you are pretty much ...something not good. Sorry if I seem argumentative here.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Great question….

Just in short without much detail and just tid-bits of info…. The eyes of an albino animal appear red because the color of the red blood cells in the retina can be seen through the iris, which has no pigment to obscure this.

Now the lighting….First we must understand the types of UV light and the way a reptile/tortoise consumes it. (short version)

UVA is a wave length of light that is most responsible for “vision”. This type of wave length which is around 300-400nm allows your tortoise to detect movements, recognize other species and their own, but also responsible for activity levels ex: foraging, food detection, social behavior, reproduction ect….We (humans) have 3 types of color receptors- red, blue, green. Reptiles/tortoises have a fourth that we can’t see in UVA but they use to thrive in everyday life as explained above. Plain and simple …Lack of UVA light impairs their ability to interact with their environment.

UVB is necessary to maintain proper Vitamin D3 and calcium levels in the reptile's system. When a reptile is exposed to UVB light, the UVB light regulates the synthesis of Vitamin D3. It is Vitamin D3 that allows reptiles to properly absorb and metabolize calcium….. In fact, UVB light is the primary source of D3 for many reptiles. Reptiles that do not get enough UVB light do not make enough Vitamin D3. This lack of calcium can lead to problems in tortoises such as MBD- metabolic bone disease.

With an albino/hypo animal in the wild …the lack of protective camouflage would make them an easier target for predators, thus resulting in a lesser survival rate and reproduction.
Is there any damage to the skin in an albino tortoises like in humans if subjected to UV?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Is there any damage to the skin in an albino tortoises like in humans if subjected to UV?

Yes......You are correct and a catch 22 for an Albino. The sun’s hazardous ultraviolet(UV)rays that constantly bombard an animal’s skin/shell… these invisible energy waves signal their bodies to pump up the production of melanin (which they lack) and is the pigment that controls color and helps skin tan rather than burn. Since albino animals can’t produce pigments, they’re unable to naturally protect their skin. Too much UV exposure can spell severe sunburn, blisters and even cause deadly skin cancers. Another factor is lack of pigmentation in an Albino can lead to abnormal eye development and poor vision….this can stress the animal having a hard time looking for food, and can lead to dietary issues as well. To serve its purpose, UVB light must fall into the proper wavelengths between 275 and 325nm. UVB light that is too low will not induce the synthesis of Vitamin D3. UVB light that is too high can raise the skin temperature too high, which also impairs the reptile's ability to create D3 among other problems like mentioned.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes......You are correct and a catch 22 for an Albino. The sun’s hazardous ultraviolet(UV)rays that constantly bombard an animal’s skin/shell… these invisible energy waves signal their bodies to pump up the production of melanin (which they lack) and is the pigment that controls color and helps skin tan rather than burn. Since albino animals can’t produce pigments, they’re unable to naturally protect their skin. Too much UV exposure can spell severe sunburn, blisters and even cause deadly skin cancers. Another factor is lack of pigmentation in an Albino can lead to abnormal eye development and poor vision….this can stress the animal having a hard time looking for food, and can lead to dietary issues as well. To serve its purpose, UVB light must fall into the proper wavelengths between 275 and 325nm. UVB light that is too low will not induce the synthesis of Vitamin D3. UVB light that is too high can raise the skin temperature too high, which also impairs the reptile's ability to create D3 among other problems like mentioned.
Interesting Jeff,. So if the uvb gets too high, like to sunburning point, this also as a similar effect as no uvb regarding calcium absorption. Am I understanding that correctly?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes Sir....I might mention though different species metabolize UV at different rates, and suited for their environment.... Were keeping on track with albinos and problems within. Although much info we have all discussed would hold true for nearly all species.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am the person that produced it originally. A complete fluke, there was no effort involved. Just luck. The same group of 3.9 produced for me this last year an azanthic who would have guessed? I have no knowledge of who dad or mom are as there are in fact 3.9 in the same group for over 18 years. This is the best update that I can give you all. Will take pictures of the azanthic from the same group soon.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
I am the person that produced it originally. A complete fluke, there was no effort involved. Just luck. The same group of 3.9 produced for me this last year an azanthic who would have guessed? I have no knowledge of who dad or mom are as there are in fact 3.9 in the same group for over 18 years. This is the best update that I can give you all. Will take pictures of the azanthic from the same group soon.
Thank you for your response! It is such an unusual and amazing Tortoise! I have all 3 of its siblings as well. One of which has green eyes, which i feel is unusual as well. I would love to see the pictures of the axanthic from last year.
This clears up as to whether it is a hybrid with a star tortoise as well - it has some similar features but I guess that's as far as it goes.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I was lucky enough to see is as a baby. My friend Doug produced it in S Fl. I was pissed when he sold it. lol