Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've always wanted one of those little guys. Does he eat earth worms?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
We are feeding her crickets ,earthworms , mealworms , bananas, hedgehog food mixed with romain lettuce , and cat food sometimes :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had one not too long ago. Yvonne, if you do ever get one. Purchase from a breeder that handles them. Mine never got used to us. As he was not handled much before us.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
During the first days that we had our hedgehog she wouldn't let us touch her at all , i been spending about an hour everyday with her since my brother purchased her and I been giving her mealworms every time I take her out of her cage and she's finally getting used to us ! :) I never thought those quills could hurt the way they do lol

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Omg! I want one! They are illegal in California but whatever. I have a ferret and they are illegal too. Don't care much for stupid laws. ;)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol I live in Wisconsin so I don't have any problems on keeping one , can u get in trouble if u get one ?? Like getting a ticket or something ?

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
Lol I live in Wisconsin so I don't have any problems on keeping one , can u get in trouble if u get one ?? Like getting a ticket or something ?

I am sure I could get fined and the animal confiscated but I'm not too worried. Tons of people have ferrets without issue. Though I don't go out in public with her. I'm pretty full animal wise so not going to really go out and get a hedgehog, but if one fell in my lap....

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Linz2491 said:
guille24 said:

I am sure I could get fined and the animal confiscated but I'm not too worried. Tons of people have ferrets without issue. Though I don't go out in public with her. I'm pretty full animal wise so not going to really go out and get a hedgehog, but if one fell in my lap....

Right?! If one happened to need a home....

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
my girlfriend doesnt mind my reptile keeping, shes just not into like i am. ive been considering getting me and her one if these cute little guys.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
1.0.0 Blue Nose Pit/American Bulldog

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
My wife has a hedgehog- one of the oddest characters I have ever met. I am the only one that can stand to pick him up out of his cage. He runs all night on his saucer, and loves mealworms. You took great pics.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have one of these cutie pies too!! They are a lot of fun!! You have a real cute one too!! :) :)
Great pics!!

dar64

5 Year Member
If you can't have them in our state will vets treat them ?
I wanted one for years.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That is so funny, I was just doing some research on these guys to see how hard they are too care for. Do they need a lot of care?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
They are really easy to take care of ! But make sure u get one from a breeder or if u end up getting one from your local pet store like my brother did ur future pet might not like to be handle at all and let me tell u those quills really really hurt , also get as much info as u can about their diets , they like fruits , insects (crickets , mealworms, earth worms ) , cat food ,some vegetables , they like to walk a lot ! Candy our hedgehog spends the whole night walking around her cage and playing on her wheel , U can even potty train them :) there some videos in YouTube .

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
dar64 said:
If you can't have them in our state will vets treat them ?
I wanted one for years.

That is a problem I just dealt with. You would probably have to find an exotic vet that will treat. Last week I ran into this problem with my ferret. She had a blockage and was going downhill fast. I could only find a exotic vet who was busy treating circus animals and a vet who is incredibly expensive and I know I would not have walked away less then $2000 in the hole. I would have paid it but I just didn't have it. Luckily I am pretty good at home care and I was just plain *** lucky because with a week of syringe feeding and mineral oil treatments, she is a good as new and extra energetic to make up for the ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.