Can't stop me!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I'm a little crazy at times. I get ideas in my head when stuck in traffic about new buildings or expanding the enclosure sections. So swung by Home Depot rented and auger and got some fence posts and concrete. Constant expansion. I decided this area 48x36 will be the permanent enclosure area for the Manouria emys emys. I'm not satisfied with there current outdoor area. I think it gets too much sun. Also this will have an 8x20 greenhouse completely dedicated to them for winter retreat. So few hours of work after getting back from Home Depot and getting started. Of course little b the dog guardian got me sidetracked having to relocate a pretty awesome looking rat snake.

So this is the beginning photos of a new expansion this spring. Of course I will update when possible.

Before.
image.jpg

Posts being set. Had the back posts to still concrete in this pic. Got dark by the time I finished messing with the rat snake.
image.jpg

And of course the rat snake that delayed progress for 30 minutes. Took him up the road and released him.

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have a utility pole right in the middle of your property?????

Some of my best times were when I was pen building. That's my very favorite passtime.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You have a utility pole right in the middle of your property?????

Some of my best times were when I was pen building. That's my very favorite passtime.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Yeah I love getting those ideas and putting into a reality. At that part of the property unfortunately their is a power pole that feeds the other 3 tortoise buildings. However I'm going to make that kinda a planted bed and disguise with elephant ears and bamboo so it will go away when looking at the pen.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Wow looks awesome!! I love setting up enclosures.. Its my favorite. I could but mini terrariums and just set them up for fun!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Love your threads about creating new enclosures! Definitely watching this.
The Manouria won't care about the pole.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Alrighty. Had a change of plan. I decided to remove a few posts and will be building a small greenhouse in the corner. But fences are done.
But here it is so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh yeah I do. I'm a bit crazy when I comes to tortoises and anything to better their environment I keep them in.
I love it! I have no problem spoiling my little Steve! :<3::<3:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking good! I see your putting things on the fence, too. So many folks forget about how much you can add to an enclosure by using everything (like the fencing and even that pole). :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is so fun to redo, add on and build tort yards. I hate when I'm done and can't do more. Looks great Kelly.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice .....Mr. Kelly ......looks as you have been a busy beaver too! I myself have been doing a little remodeling.....
Keep up the nice work ....and more pics as it progresses. Thanks for sharing the new "digs" ......

JD~

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very Nice .....Mr. Kelly ......looks as you have been a busy beaver too! I myself have been doing a little remodeling.....
Keep up the nice work ....and more pics as it progresses. Thanks for sharing the new "digs" ......

JD~
Always a busy beaver I am. I just talked with my concrete guy. Hopefully this weekend we will get the slab poured for it, so I can frame the structure. I would do the concrete myself. But after my mom and I only doing the huge greenhouse I think it's time to pay someone else to do it this time. Ha. Summer and concrete trucks just don't jive with me much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought that was the reason for the new house? :)

Oh ya, lots to do here still. The other place was done, with no room to grow. Now I have lots of room to grow and plant and change and, and, and, so much I can do:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well haven't done much I. This area pretty much all summer. But this project is now in full force since the "greenhouse" is finished. The "Manouria mansion" arrived today, I met with the builder few weeks ago to give him the door, windows and layout of the building. I strictly just don't have time to construct them myself right now. So this is the second manufactured building and the 5th on the property. Time to get to running wire and trying to close it up for the winter inhabitants. Probably will take 2-3 weeks to finish it all ponds and everything.

I had them add some hatch doors so on good temperature days they can venture outside whenever they liked of course I have to build up a ramp to the doors, and seal off the dead space below the building.
This is a view form inside the pen. There will be a divider wall inside the building and in between the two hatch doors in the enclosure to separate the blacks and brown mountains.
image.jpg

From the outside of the fenced area.
image.jpg

And the inside for now at least. The floor I am going to insulate then plywood over it. The pens will be lined with 80mil geo poly. So in essence the entire inside will be a giant pond liner pen. Then I will add the ponds with drains, and fill it with mulch for them. Should be a pretty easy building this one. Unless I get crazy(which will probably happen) and start adding all sorts of crap.
image.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
'Twas a nice productive weekend. All the electrical is run and hot. This building is closely tipping our 200 amp main service. I think it's time to upgrade to a larger property. Still need more buildings :)

But got the ceiling in, and shelfs installed. All power is operable. Insulation and covering the walls is next. Then I can build the pens, add mulch, install light fixtures and another building done.
image.jpg
image.jpg