Can I use aspen shaving for leopard?

Zac dale

Hi, I have a baby Leopard. I was wondering if I could use aspen shavings. I already have sphagnum moss for humidity. If I can't, what is the best substrate to use? Thanks

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Aspen is not a good choice. It used to be popular, but it's quite dry and doesn't help regulate the humidity that a young leopard would need. Fir bark, cypress mulch, cococoir, and safe dirt from outside are generally the top recommendations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have a baby Leopard. I was wondering if I could use aspen shavings. I already have sphagnum moss for humidity. If I can't, what is the best substrate to use? Thanks

Please read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Substrate choices are one of the many things discussed.

Aspen shavings are not a good choice and some tortoises will try to eat the moss, so be careful. I can't use it in my enclosures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you use moss cut it up so its in small pieces. If eaten it can't get tangled around things inside and it can't get wrapped around a leg of neck on the outside. I had this happen when my first leopard was small. Got tangled around his neck and he tried eating it so that's when I stopped using it.