Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
you need to add some more things in the diet and do not keep them on sand, its a big no, because it an cause compaction and suffocation

S.Seth

Hi Shanu,

Good suggestions, you have good knowledge about "Stars". Could you put some light on 'Pyramiding or MBD'. What age it starts, Reason for the same, Remedy for it?

yash

you need to add some more things in the diet and do not keep them on sand, its a big no, because it an cause compaction and suffocation

which substrate i used ? and
what should i add in the diet ?

S.Seth

Hi Shanu & others, are you still there on the forum? I joined late & have questions to ask.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hi Shanu & others, are you still there on the forum? I joined late & have questions to ask.
Yes we are very much on the forum and active and we'd be happy to answer your questions :)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
which substrate i used ? and
what should i add in the diet ?
For the substrate you should use garden soil which is chemical free.
and regarding the diet please refer to the earlier posts

S.Seth

Good to hear from you, my babies (Star) are eating but not as they used to (a week ago) and hardly move around. skin is looking ok, poop is firm & dark. Natural Temp is between 40-44* C, humidity remains in between 10-13%.
Have access to sunlight as per there wish, yet they are inside closer (will post Pic. later).

I am giving them cucumber, lady finger, capsicum. Along with these, sometimes I give them tomato mixed in the food.

Rajshree

Hi! I got a star turtle yesterday. Its 2.5 inch approx and very playful. He isnt scared of touching and Has been running around the whole apartment. It finds a corner and rests. It does not like to be confiscated in the box that I made for him. I am very worried about feeding. It hasnt eaten anything since yesterday. I tried all greens. Its not opening mouth only. We tried to give it bath twice. It doesnt show any interest in bath and hasnt pooped in bath as people say. Water is normal temperature. Shall I bath it in lukewarm water? N how to make it eat? Is it still trying to adjust? Pls suggest something.

Roshni

Hello people,
I am from Mumbai, India. I have recently got two stars from a friend. I dont know their age, but they were with them from past 5 years. I have attached their photo.
IMG_20150309_224340.jpg
Big one is the female, Tikki, and the small one, a male, Chiku. I have got them from past one month. I have been feeding them Lettuce leaves and cucumber. Sometimes i give them coriander and methi. I soak them once in the morning. Please give suggestions and corrections as to the do's and don'ts. Thank You.

Rajshree

Hello people,
I am from Mumbai, India. I have recently got two stars from a friend. I dont know their age, but they were with them from past 5 years. I have attached their photo.
IMG_20150309_224340.jpg
Big one is the female, Tikki, and the small one, a male, Chiku. I have got them from past one month. I have been feeding them Lettuce leaves and cucumber. Sometimes i give them coriander and methi. I soak them once in the morning. Please give suggestions and corrections as to the do's and don'ts. Thank You.
Hello Roshni!
Start feeding them more leaves, and try to give cucumber less. Give them grasses, leaves, flowers (hibiscus, rose), or all the things having high fibre and calcium. You need to leave them in Sun for some time daily. Give them a bath daily. Once a month, scrub shell with old toothbrush gently. If any more questions, pls ask.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Good to hear from you, my babies (Star) are eating but not as they used to (a week ago) and hardly move around. skin is looking ok, poop is firm & dark. Natural Temp is between 40-44* C, humidity remains in between 10-13%.
Have access to sunlight as per there wish, yet they are inside closer (will post Pic. later).

I am giving them cucumber, lady finger, capsicum. Along with these, sometimes I give them tomato mixed in the food.

The humidity level is way less.... i also noticed that my star doesn't eat that much if i don't soak him or wet him from time to time, since it is summer and temperature reach 40+ degrees celsius so it is essential to soak them twice and wet their shells couple of times a day...

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Can i feed a star tort fresh corn...i have offered thrm two pieces and one of the pair finished.
Am i doing wrong...?

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello people,
IMG_20150309_224340.jpg
Hello Roshini and Welcome to TFO
I appreciate your concern towards your torts and your willingness to provide best for your tort.:)
Most of the do's and don'ts have been covered in this thread and the indian star tortoise subsection, I'm not asking you to stop asking questions but i am requesting you to have a read through the thread if possible and still if there are queries then we are very much happy to answer. The reason for this is, answering the same questions over again will cause redundancy and duplication which will unnecessarily stretch this thread to huge no. of pages.
and the image is not showing up due to error in uploading. Kindly re upload the image(s), I'm eager to see the image of your torts. And lastly they have beautiful names(and funny too :) )

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Can i feed a star tort fresh corn...i have offered thrm two pieces and one of the pair finished.
Am i doing wrong...?
according to thetortoisetable.org.uk , corn should not be fed to the tortoises as it is too high in phosphorous, protein, and sugars which can ferment in the tortoise’s gut causing acidosis, a condition that can cause severe intestinal problems and possibly death so i suggest you not to feed it.

Roshni

Thank You Shanu, i've gone thru the threads and other similar ones. They are truly helpful. I have hibiscus, methi, spinach, radish available here, so will try to give them more of these and reduce lettuce and cucumber. The big one, tikki, sometimes she is constantly shaking her head and also moves her front legs and head in and out, kind of a heavy breathing. Is that a matter of concern? I have attached their photos.IMG_20150309_224340.jpg IMG_20150309_222643.jpg

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
@Roshni hibiscus, methi, radish greens(mulli ke patte) are good to be fed but avoid spinach as a regular food because it has high oxalic acid, you can give that as a treat or sparingly. The in and out movements of head and the legs are the way tortoises breath so you don't have to worry unless it is erratic. Your torts are beautiful but they are pyramiding which is a cosmetic problem but still is not healthy so i suggest you spray their shells couple of times a day to maintain the humidity at shell level, this is in addition to soaking for 15-20 mins every or alternate days since your torts aren't that small.

Roshni

Yes. I read about pyramiding in one of the threads. Thanks for your valuable advise.:):tort:

yashpatil

Hi all read all most of posts:rolleyes: above nice to see you all :).......... Actually i wish to welcome my tortoise:tort:and wish him a long life:<3: but i dont think so :(as my tort had eat a stone:mad: some days before as I got to know when he was try to eat another one:mad::mad: and his poop was also white and heavy o_Olater its always its poop come in red colou:eek:r i think his internally bleeding i only hope that he survive:) for long years with good help and if he is paining then let his paining stop forever :(

Attachments

• IMG_6654.JPG
    IMG_6654.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 20

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Is pyramiding a health problem...?
I di sprey and sometime a couple of drops of coconut or almond oil to shine their shell...