Calling all red foot owners!

LeiiMaa

Location (City and/or State)
England, UK
Hi everyone!

I've caught the tortoise bug and in a few days I'll hopefully be a new mum to a yearling red foot tortoise :)

My main question is diet. What do you guys feed your red foots? I've read tonnes and tonnes online but it's always nice to hear from current, experienced red foot owners! This may already be on the forum somewhere and I've just failed to find it, hehe! I've spoken to the person who currently has him and he said they feed him a full pinky mouse every 4 days ... is this the normal amount of protein for in their diet?!

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, p.s. I'll post photos soon! I promise!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You'll find good care sheets on the link above but no that's a bit heavy on the protein. Most of us feed protein once every 2 weeks. I feed veggies of 3 days straight, then a day of fruit and repeat... Supplementing the protein twice a month.

LeiiMaa

England, UK
What do you feed them for protein? I've read some people use pinks, some rehydrate a dry low fat high meat cat food, some use raw dog food. Just trying to work out what would be the best for her :)

Turtlepete

South Florida
Yeah, probably way too much protein. I use cooked chicken and turkey personally. Low-fat rehydrated dog food is another choice that some keepers utilize. I prefer to just use whole meats though. Pinkies can work as well but some say they are too high in fat.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I feed my tortoises a variety of dark leafy greens such as kale, dandelions, collards, escarole, endive, spring mix, fruit such as papaya, strawberries, raspberries, mangoes, nectarines, peaches, kiwi, but I don't over do it on fruit. I give a good variety of hibiscus leaves & flowers. For protein I give hard boils eggs, boiled chicken, & mazuri. I also feed mushrooms, romain, red leaf lettuce, squash, bananas, cactus pads, leaf lettuce, Just to name a few things :)

By the way...Redfoots Rule!!!!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I offer mushrooms, tuna in spring water, and salad shrimp for protein. Or slugs and worms from the garden. The Tortoise Library does have a good food list. My reds go nuts for mango and papaya but I use fruit as a mix-in ingredient. I also cube butternut squash and blanche it, then store it in the freezer to use as needed.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I offer mushrooms, tuna in spring water, and salad shrimp for protein. Or slugs and worms from the garden. The Tortoise Library does have a good food list. My reds go nuts for mango and papaya but I use fruit as a mix-in ingredient. I also cube butternut squash and blanche it, then store it in the freezer to use as needed.

I will have to try tuna and shrimp, I just never buy anything seafood related, it makes me gag LOL!!