California declared mojave desert tortoise endangered!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought it was already and that's why it is illegal to take them from the wild, to sell them and to breed them by individuals or move them out of state?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought it was already and that's why it is illegal to take them from the wild, to sell them and to breed them by individuals or move them out of state?
I thought so too. I knew they were protected by law, but I thought it was because they were "endangered". It appears we were both mistaken.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This came across my news feed yesterday. Thought I would share...

Interesting that they talk about the threats to the species, but don't mention the primary threat that is wiping them out. Ravens. You can find 300 empty baby tortoise shells under a single raven nest in spring. The other things mentioned do also take a toll, but those things are minor problems in comparison to the ravens. Those other things take a toll on the adult tortoise population, but the ravens are almost 100% preventing the wild reproduction of the species.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Surely they must be aware of the impact of the ravens! That's 😧 crazy.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
Interesting that they talk about the threats to the species, but don't mention the primary threat that is wiping them out. Ravens. You can find 300 empty baby tortoise shells under a single raven nest in spring. The other things mentioned do also take a toll, but those things are minor problems in comparison to the ravens. Those other things take a toll on the adult tortoise population, but the ravens are almost 100% preventing the wild reproduction of the species.
What baffles me is that they are continuously taking the land for which is their "protected habitat" for the stupid solar projects. Every time a new project arises, (which seems to be every week around here) the torts are scouted, removed and relocated to some other area. Sometimes close, sometimes miles and miles away. I can't fathom the purpose is for the greater good of the tort. How many of them actually survive after being removed, placed in the back of a truck with other sick tortoises and relocated to an unfamiliar territory? The stress alone I imagine would stunt their ability to thrive. I can only imagine the hundreds that are killed by ravens and/or any other predator for that matter.

We had the pleasure of speaking with a local tortoise scientist who actually is part of the removal process for such solar disasters. She knew nothing about the care of a desert tortoise. She was fully aware though of the mycoplasmosis and upper respiratory tract diseases. However, still proceeded to tell us that upon removal of the torts in the wild, they place them all in the back of a pick up truck together and haul them off to their final destination. How is that protecting them? No one thinks that may be a BIG impact on the welfare and life of the tort? I just don't get it.

The hardest part of what we do is that we can't save them all......sucks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What baffles me is that they are continuously taking the land for which is their "protected habitat" for the stupid solar projects. Every time a new project arises, (which seems to be every week around here) the torts are scouted, removed and relocated to some other area. Sometimes close, sometimes miles and miles away. I can't fathom the purpose is for the greater good of the tort. How many of them actually survive after being removed, placed in the back of a truck with other sick tortoises and relocated to an unfamiliar territory? The stress alone I imagine would stunt their ability to thrive. I can only imagine the hundreds that are killed by ravens and/or any other predator for that matter.

We had the pleasure of speaking with a local tortoise scientist who actually is part of the removal process for such solar disasters. She knew nothing about the care of a desert tortoise. She was fully aware though of the mycoplasmosis and upper respiratory tract diseases. However, still proceeded to tell us that upon removal of the torts in the wild, they place them all in the back of a pick up truck together and haul them off to their final destination. How is that protecting them? No one thinks that may be a BIG impact on the welfare and life of the tort? I just don't get it.

The hardest part of what we do is that we can't save them all......sucks!
Sad and even more sad the lady, a tortoise scientist knows nothing of the care. Wth does she know then? That's an important part of tortoise care and science in my opinion.
And really, do they need to rehome them just to put up a bunch of solar panels? Can't they work around them and have the panels up on legs or platform so the tortoises can still live among them?
Ugh, and people wonder why I dislike humans!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought so too. I knew they were protected by law, but I thought it was because they were "endangered". It appears we were both mistaken.
We should have figured it. They, whoever "they" are, seem to always wait until it's a disaster before entering the endangered list. Obviously whatever they were doing when they were threatened didn't work. Surprise, surprise, ugh.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
Sad and even more sad the lady, a tortoise scientist knows nothing of the care. Wth does she know then? That's an important part of tortoise care and science in my opinion.
And really, do they need to rehome them just to put up a bunch of solar panels? Can't they work around them and have the panels up on legs or platform so the tortoises can still live among them?
I agree 100%. It didn't make sense to us of how she could do the job she does but not know the ins/outs of caring for the tortoise in their natural habitat....That's what we said, why do the solar panels get to take over. Why can't they stay there? She had no answers for us. We too dislike humans....that's why we live where we live.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Surely they must be aware of the impact of the ravens! That's 😧 crazy.
i believe ravens would be included under the invasive species problem, they would be considered a "native invasive species" because of their population increase ........which is said to be due to the increase in people , ravens are smarter than smart..... people provide year round water, food , and nesting sites , increased nesting , increased chick survival, exponential increase in population...... get rid of the people and the raven population would decline..... possibly you could start killing them , usually that doesn't work , as you kill one and it just makes room for one more......

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I don't understand why the ones in captivity cannot be bred. It sure would help keep them from going extinct.
disease could be one reason , captive to wild is risky........ they had a problem with western pond turtles they may attribute to "head start" programs ..... a particular kind of shell fungus seen only in captive turtles has been found in wild western pond turtles.....

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The Biologist said "I know about wild tortoises in the wild, I know nothing of the Husbandry of captive animals." This still makes no sense. I tried on our trip to get the "Expeditioner" to get pictures of the Solar Farms but just couldn't get it in the picture. EVERYTIME we drive the Desert way we see either a new Solar Farm, or another one is expanding. Each one is big enough to see from space, crazy huh. People act like the Desert is an empty void lacking any life and always say "Nobody uses the Desert and no one cares about the Desert." The one that really blows me away is the ones that drive their Subaru's and got Climate stickers all over it but say "Solar is the solution, we need to build more." I have not met 1 person that UNDERSTANDS solar (This includes the Forum). Amazing how Mainstream Media has got people that are SO concerned with the Climate to be Solar proponents, this is so backwards. Recycle is what we hear at every turn in life but Solar panels are NOT, how does that make sense. They are not recycled due to no money in it. So "Save the Planet" but do it with Solar that is toxic in landfills, is not recycled and requires more power to be used. I'm not getting into another argument about this here so if you think Solar is Great, good for you. I live in a Fact based life.