Calcium powder

Tinytortmama

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
We try to add calcium powder at least every other days our baby sulcata's greens, but she eats around the powder. Ideas on what I can do to help this? We don't overdo it and I try to spread it around, but it's not working too well.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed my torts eggshells (whole and/or powdered) and collard greens and opuntia cactus... I also feed some weeds from my yard: dandelions (flowers and greens) and plantago... all of these things add calcium to their diets.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We try to add calcium powder at least every other days our baby sulcata's greens, but she eats around the powder. Ideas on what I can do to help this? We don't overdo it and I try to spread it around, but it's not working too well.
You're adding too much. You just take Very small 'pinch' between your thumb and index finger and distribute it over, or even mix it in the food. You shouldn't be able to see it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Suggested uses:
~ 3 times a week 1/8 teaspoon tossed with a whole head of greens or garden harvest.
~ Make a small pile near the feeding area for free choice consumption

This is what is on the label when I sell 40 oz bags. I used the recommended application from one of the Mader books, which is annoying as they suggest grams of calcium per kilograms of tortoises, which is how vets think, like it was a drug formulation. But we include calcium in the food. So with supervised math I reverse engineered the amount based on reptile vets recommendation and made it 'actionable' for tortoise keepers based on food prep.

To bring up yet another matter, over use of calcium would 'seem' to contribute to uroliths (kidney and bladder stones) as the chemical analysis of such frequently includes a urate calcium matrix. This is speculative, in that there has been no controlled study with rates of calcium and the build up or creation of uroliths.

A whole head of greens is too much for single baby tortoise, but that's the proportion. Adjust accordingly.

And here is a sales plug. Consider high calcium foods like Cactus (flour or chips), Moringa, and Mulberry.

Chicken layer crumbles have enough calcium to support egg laying hens in full production.

Yvonne is right, just a pinch.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Suggested uses:
~ 3 times a week 1/8 teaspoon tossed with a whole head of greens or garden harvest.
~ Make a small pile near the feeding area for free choice consumption

This is what is on the label when I sell 40 oz bags. I used the recommended application from one of the Mader books, which is annoying as they suggest grams of calcium per kilograms of tortoises, which is how vets think, like it was a drug formulation. But we include calcium in the food. So with supervised math I reverse engineered the amount based on reptile vets recommendation and made it 'actionable' for tortoise keepers based on food prep.

To bring up yet another matter, over use of calcium would 'seem' to contribute to uroliths (kidney and bladder stones) as the chemical analysis of such frequently includes a urate calcium matrix. This is speculative, in that there has been no controlled study with rates of calcium and the build up or creation of uroliths.

A whole head of greens is too much for single baby tortoise, but that's the proportion. Adjust accordingly.

And here is a sales plug. Consider high calcium foods like Cactus (flour or chips), Moringa, and Mulberry.

Chicken layer crumbles have enough calcium to support egg laying hens in full production.

Yvonne is right, just a pinch.
Sorry this is a stupid question, but the crumbles are chicken?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HA! You made me laugh! In a good way. Not making fun of you at all.

You thought it was made of chicken, but when I first heard about this, my thought was: "Wait... whaaaa.... Chicken food for a tortoise...???" I have chickens, so I knew what it was ands I actually already had it on hand to feed to my chickens, but that thought never occurred to me until Will said it. On Will's recommendation, I use the "Organic" lay crumbles for the tortoises. My chickens still get the "regular" lay crumbles as they have at my place for decades.

I use just a tiny pinch of calcium and I mix it all up with whatever food they are eating that day. You can hardly tell if the calcium is there or not. Twice a week is plenty for a growing baby tortoise, especially if you are feeding all the right foods like weeds, leaves and grasses.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I get this question with great frequency, YES it's chicken food.

here is the narrative on the purchase page at Kapidolo Farms
"This is Purina Mills organic chicken layer crumbles. This food and earlier non-organic version of it have an 80 year recorded use as a tortoise food. Best offered with grasses or other diet items that will increase fiber. Often sold in a 35 pound sack at feed stores, Kapidolo Farms offers smaller more manageable portions. The tortoise variety pack as an option here are the three small cut 4 ounce bags, oat, wheat, and barley. If you opt to not include the options of hibiscus and/or grasses, I'll still include a one ounce sample size (my choice) so you can see your tortoise experience the difference."

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
I get this question with great frequency, YES it's chicken food.

here is the narrative on the purchase page at Kapidolo Farms
"This is Purina Mills organic chicken layer crumbles. This food and earlier non-organic version of it have an 80 year recorded use as a tortoise food. Best offered with grasses or other diet items that will increase fiber. Often sold in a 35 pound sack at feed stores, Kapidolo Farms offers smaller more manageable portions. The tortoise variety pack as an option here are the three small cut 4 ounce bags, oat, wheat, and barley. If you opt to not include the options of hibiscus and/or grasses, I'll still include a one ounce sample size (my choice) so you can see your tortoise experience the difference."

Thank you. I’ll look to order this weekend.