calcium mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi all,
Need some expert opinions. Attached is an x-ray of a almost 7 year old Sulcata that was kept in a fish tank (6 years) with no uva/uvb, improper diet (fed cucumbers and lettuce) I've had for almost a year. She's been responding to proper care and diet since I've had her except for her urates. The urates have been gravel despite daily baths until 3 weeks ago when they completely stopped. She's not processing anything. I believe she's had severe kidney damage due to her terrible care. If I'm right, her time is limited.

I had her x-rayed today and I see a big mass of what I think is calcium. Any thoughts on how/if this relates to her lack of urates?

Any advice on how I can continue to help her?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• mail0000.jpg
    mail0000.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 51

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she didn't have any uvb lighting, in her past, that's the problem. My understanding, they need UVB to process the calcium. See what others have to say.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the same thing.

I hope others chime in.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Hard to see on my phone, but looks like some metabolic bone disease in there.

Does the tort move around ok ? Seem painful ?? The joints almost look like gout (increased uric crystalization, which can look like balls of calcified matter

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Terese:

I don't see the mass you're talking about, unless its the ball shape over on the left side. But if that truly is the case, and its too big to pass through all the canals, then it will have to be broken up. Can the vet reach it with forceps? If so, he can squeeze it and break it up, then put some mineral oil down the tortoise's throat and up the cloaca. If it can't be reached, then surgery is an option. For human stones, they shock the mass with ultra-sonic sound waves and it breaks it up. I don't know if that can be done for a tortoise.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Surgical exploration may be warranted in this case. The "mass" im assuming you are referring to is way off on the left side, which is very odd.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Hi Terese:

I don't see the mass you're talking about, unless its the ball shape over on the left side. But if that truly is the case, and its too big to pass through all the canals, then it will have to be broken up. Can the vet reach it with forceps? If so, he can squeeze it and break it up, then put some mineral oil down the tortoise's throat and up the cloaca. If it can't be reached, then surgery is an option. For human stones, they shock the mass with ultra-sonic sound waves and it breaks it up. I don't know if that can be done for a tortoise.

yes, the mass to the left.

Everyone, thanks for the comments and thoughts. I'm going to have to find an experienced reptile vet that knows something about surgery. My vet is not experienced enough in surgery to feel confident giving it a shot. I appreciate her honesty. Can anyone recommend someone in Washington State?

I found this blog from the SanDiego Zoo

http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/2011/10/28/saving-tortoises-one-urolith-at-a-time/

which rings a bell because they say the mass is mostly from dehydration. She was dehydrated for 6 years - there could be a similarity. I'm going to contact the author and start doing some research and try to help the tort further.

I just hope I'm not too late because she's stopped producing any waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.