RF Xray shows mass/anyone experience something similiar?

Matilda's Keeper

Good Afternoon, we own a RF named Matilda. We've had her for almost 1 year and have enjoyed her SO MUCH. About a month ago she started declining in her eating and not quite as active. ( Her diet, housing, and enclosure meets all of the specifications needed for good health for a RF. We done LOTS of research and we have given her a great home.) We took her to the vet for a standard check up, they took an xray and said that there is a mass of some sort on the right side of her abdomen. They have been unable to aspirate or do an ultrasound due to the location. They have been speaking to different Universities getting different advice/opinons on what our next step will be. Surgery is out of the question as we aren't sure what the "mass" is and will also be very expensive. We've also already spent a lot on vet visits, which we don't mind, she's worth it. However we aren't sure even if they did do a surgery that she would be ok or what the outcome would be. My question, has anyone else been faced with a RF or any tortoise with a "mysterious" mass of some sort inside the shell? If so what was the outcome or your overall experience with the situation. (We know it's not eggs). She had also been urinating green urine. They feel the mass is causing a problem with her appetite, or possible liver or kidney disease. We go back next Tues to see if the mass has grown/same/decreased in size. If I can get her to increase her appetite, I'm afraid we are facing a very sad situation. She's added so much joy of our home and family. My twin boys adore her, as do I. We will be devastated to lose her. Any information or experience or advice with something similar is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Did they say whether it was a soft tissue mass (like a tumor) or a radiodense mass (like a bladder stone, also called uroliths)? My tortoise has bladder stones, and they are on his right side.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey, have your vet send you a PDF of the image then post it here. It's your x-ray, you paid for it. There are vets here who may or may not reach out to your vet. Vets tend to not post their more critical thinking here 'cause we are all amateurs (NOT).

There are a dozen or so vets that will know right away. A few dozen more that will provide a definitive answer after looking at something to jog their memory, then all the others.

Treatment without diagnosis is an iffy way to go about it.

Post the image here.

Kasia

Poland
Good Afternoon, we own a RF named Matilda. We've had her for almost 1 year and have enjoyed her SO MUCH. About a month ago she started declining in her eating and not quite as active. ( Her diet, housing, and enclosure meets all of the specifications needed for good health for a RF. We done LOTS of research and we have given her a great home.) We took her to the vet for a standard check up, they took an xray and said that there is a mass of some sort on the right side of her abdomen. They have been unable to aspirate or do an ultrasound due to the location. They have been speaking to different Universities getting different advice/opinons on what our next step will be. Surgery is out of the question as we aren't sure what the "mass" is and will also be very expensive. We've also already spent a lot on vet visits, which we don't mind, she's worth it. However we aren't sure even if they did do a surgery that she would be ok or what the outcome would be. My question, has anyone else been faced with a RF or any tortoise with a "mysterious" mass of some sort inside the shell? If so what was the outcome or your overall experience with the situation. (We know it's not eggs). She had also been urinating green urine. They feel the mass is causing a problem with her appetite, or possible liver or kidney disease. We go back next Tues to see if the mass has grown/same/decreased in size. If I can get her to increase her appetite, I'm afrase ggr advice with something similar is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Did the Vet examine her bloodwork? If not I would suggest to do that - levels of uric acid and Calcium-to-Phosphorus ratio will help to indicate if the kidney/liver are working ok and if a bladder stone is an option - I agree with @Will - post all you got, get the x-ray from the Vet as well. Expirienced members will be able to help you. Hugs for your shellgirl :*

Matilda's Keeper

Thank you all so much for the advice and suggestions!! She did not have great care up until the past year with us. We are her 4 Th owner and WILL BE HER LAST. She is in her forever home. I'm afraid all of that has caught up to her. :(. I'll get a copy of the X-ray and figure out how to post it. Bladder stone wasn't mentioned, but I will mention it along with the question of whether with blood work was done. I'm new at this and don't know what questions to ask the vet , but Im finding out with your help! I knew I could depend on the TF to help me out. Several of you helped me out when I first got her with her enclosure, set up, etc. And I'm truly thankful. Thank you, thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Matilda's Keeper

UPDATE ON MATILDA: Hello everyone, just wanted to give you an update on Matilda, this is the first time I've been able to do so emotionally.... she has passed away. We found out that she had liver disease, her liver was 8 times it's normal size. I believe this is from her previous3 or 4 owners and their lack of knowledge/care/interest had caught up with her over the years. (Also, if you can't or don't want to care for a reptile they way they are supposed to be cared for find a GREAT home for it. They deserve the very best. If you don't, they will live a short miserable life. Please treat them well.) They are supposed to live a long healthy life and we are saddened and devastated from losing her. So in the future for other owners, if your Redfoot starts slowing down, lack of interest in eating, and has dark green urine output, start with liver tests immediately. I don't know what eventually could be done, but for our precious girl it was too late. KASIA you were spot on!!! To the members in this forum we will be forever grateful for your time, knowledge and kindness. This forum and the people here are a great resource, take advantage of the information here. I've been helped several times. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw darn it. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
UPDATE ON MATILDA: Hello everyone, just wanted to give you an update on Matilda, this is the first time I've been able to do so emotionally.... she has passed away. We found out that she had liver disease, her liver was 8 times it's normal size. I believe this is from her previous3 or 4 owners and their lack of knowledge/care/interest had caught up with her over the years. (Also, if you can't or don't want to care for a reptile they way they are supposed to be cared for find a GREAT home for it. They deserve the very best. If you don't, they will live a short miserable life. Please treat them well.) They are supposed to live a long healthy life and we are saddened and devastated from losing her. So in the future for other owners, if your Redfoot starts slowing down, lack of interest in eating, and has dark green urine output, start with liver tests immediately. I don't know what eventually could be done, but for our precious girl it was too late. KASIA you were spot on!!! To the members in this forum we will be forever grateful for your time, knowledge and kindness. This forum and the people here are a great resource, take advantage of the information here. I've been helped several times. Thank you!
:(

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My condolences. Losing any pet it hard, but losing one that could very well outlive you if someone else didn't mess them up before hand is terrible.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I'm so sorry for your loss. I also hope you don't blame yourself because you shouldn't. You tried everything you could and provided your tort with the best possible care it could have.

Kasia

Poland
:(