Cactus/Vacation Questions

Ash&Tort

Hello Everyone!
I'm going to be going on vacation for about a week. Now, technically I can bring my one year old sulcata with me. I'm totally cool with that if I need to. But, stress for him and him having to be in a smaller cage than his normal enclosure for a week because of limited room in the car makes me wonder if anyone has vacation food solutions.

Maybe a couple of cactus pads? Will they be good that long and will that be ok for him?

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is it an indoor baby?
Do you have everything on timers?
The parameters are kind of vague.
I wouldn't leave a juvenile alone without supervision for that long.
Outdoors maybe with an adult, with a water source of a safe level, I'd place a large cactus or a hibiscus bush in a pot on its side and I'd be OK with it for a few days. But I'd still have someone look in on it after a few.
I'd say bring it if you can. He probably won't eat, but he can catch up once you get home.

Ash&Tort

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the vagueness!

Yes, he is indoors and his lights and humidity mister are on timers and his heat sources are on thermostats.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I would be worried that he runs out of water, his lights burn out or he hurts himself. And I don't want him to be out of fresh food, although that probably won't really hurt him. I always let my neighbour watch my animals when I'm gone for more than 1 night...

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I wouldn't left young baby unsupervised. There's just too much that can go wrong with them. Thermostats can malfunction and cook the baby. Baby can flip on it's back under the heat lamp.... Bulbs can go out and it may get too cold. Humidifier can go wacko and get things really soggy... Plus aside from other things I'm not sure how I'd address fresh water supply for this long, considering the dishes have to be shallow... Take the baby with you. Little stress won't kill him but any of the above potentially could