vacation procedures????

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
We will be going on vacation soon. What is the best procedures for keeping Rhino well for that week? Timer for lights,food and humidity.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
We hire a pet sitter. To make sure things are ok. We had the sitter come three times a day for the tort's but we boarded our dogs.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
How old is your tort? We leave the adults and older juveniles alone, but get a sitter for any hatchlings.

For the adults, we'll leave plenty of water and less-perishable foods like carrots, prickly pear pads, and living lettuce. They also have access to grazing land while we're away. A timer or sensor for the heating is a good idea, as well as a timer for the lights/UV if you keep your tort indoors.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I wouldn't leave a tortoise for a week. For Emrys I have a holiday home that's an enclosure with enough floor space for a temporary arrangement, but a size that fits in the car so that he can be dropped off with any kind friends or family members.

Alternatively, I have plans in place for a petsitter that lives locally, and a tortoise boarding place about an hour away, both of which could be picked depending on my circumstances at the time. I'll leave Emrys for up to three days, but in those cases lights are off, I leave plenty of food and make sure the water bowl is full.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
As for me, I would make damn sure I have someone there at least once a day to check on my 2 kids. Id never forgive myself if something happened to them just so I could go away for a while. Since most our vacations are just hop'n in the rv and going camping, I always take them with me. Hope u can find somebody to help u, and I am not judge'n you just so we are clear. Best of luck.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
I'm going on vacation soon too. My vet recommended a local pet sitter that will come by once a day to feed and change water. My heat and light are on a timer.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
colatoise said:
I'm going on vacation soon too. My vet recommended a local pet sitter that will come by once a day to feed and change water. My heat and light are on a timer.

That's good that people do that, I would just lock anything worth money in a safe. In this crappy day and age, I really don't trust but a handfull of people in this world. And a couple of them I only know from the forum, I've never even met them, but they just have that thing about them that I feel I could trust them with my life.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
Me and my husband are actually leaving on Friday for a week. Thankfully I work at a vet/boarding clinic so were just having one of my co-workers (who is tort approved ) come over and take care of them while were away. We just have the heat and lights on timers to make things easier for our care taker as well.

I would also recommend writing up a care sheet for whomever is coming over. I also pre-bag all my pets food labeled for each day to make it easier.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you take 22 pound sulcatas in an RV ? do you set up a pen? what about when its too hot to leave in the rv and you want to go see something?
I just have a friend come by 1-2 times a day to check on things,, feed ect.. gift cards and some cash work well.. budget it into your vacation plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.