Burmese Herd

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Gorgeous! What a lovely herd. Wow.

Question: is mild pyramiding just a part of star tortoise conformation, or are they especially prone to it? I don't think I've ever seen an adult that had a totally smooth shell, and I've been wondering!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
There are some that are very smooth, but some will have a little bumping, some more pronounced. They kind a fit in the bumping that occurs in a lot of Indians and Sri Lankans. Back right Male is the smoothest. It is a 3.2 group. I have another female who would not cooperate so wasn't included in the photo. Females are much larger than males with Burmese. I have 6 unrelated Burmese. F2 from Behler (3), Adult male from Ariz., Adult Male from Texas, F2 Female from Calif. All were juveniles when acquired. The females are big enough to lay this year. Only time will tell.

Rue

Canada
Lovely!

Er...what IS the official name for a group of tortoises?

Gaggle? Herd? Convoy? :)

Nicole M

5 Year Member
How large on average are your males and females? They certainly look big, but I have no point of reference other than the grass.

Excited to see any babies that come from these!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There are some that are very smooth, but some will have a little bumping, some more pronounced. They kind a fit in the bumping that occurs in a lot of Indians and Sri Lankans. Back right Male is the smoothest. It is a 3.2 group. I have another female who would not cooperate so wasn't included in the photo. Females are much larger than males with Burmese. I have 6 unrelated Burmese. F2 from Behler (3), Adult male from Ariz., Adult Male from Texas, F2 Female from Calif. All were juveniles when acquired. The females are big enough to lay this year. Only time will tell.
I also have some Behler Burmese. 5 - 7 years old now. What do you judge big enough to breed for Burmese? 800G male? 2000G female? And do you consider age a factor as well? is a fast grown 3 yr old 2500G female too young even with that size? Any opinions on that that you would be willing to share?

I see you also keep great records on your stud book Radiated. How do you track the sire unless you only allow one male access to a female? I know on the Behler Burmese records the Dam is listed, but the Sire is only noted as Multi Male. Do you plan on keep only one Burmese male with access to a female or pair of females? I think Ken S has previously stated he believes he has better results with competing males in breeding his.

Would love to have your thoughts...

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I would also list the Sire as multiple since I keep three males with the two females. My males are all over 1300gr. The Females are 3200gr. and 5000gr.
Age I think is more of a factor than size. Typically the females can start to produce eggs at 5 years of age. The larger female is over 10" All the males seem to breed to the females at different times. I think that there are multiple ways to have a breeding group. You can rotate males in over a number of months. When the breeding season is close to over, you could separate out the females to allow them to nest without being hassled all the time. Fortunately all my males get along and I never have to separate them out. This is the first year where I have left them alone without worrying about weather so much. All the moving in and out during thunderstorms may have disrupted their laying cycle. Now I just leave them be and go in only to feed them and not hassle them. Best time to watch is right around dusk or when it is raining. All they do is march around and enjoy their enclosure. As far as age and size of males, 800gr. might be a bit small. My males range in age of 3-10 years. My youngest male is at 8" and 1300gr. Just turned 3 and is actively breeding.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you mind saying what you're doing for enclosures? Looks like you're keeping them outside. Do you take them in at night? In the winter?

For nesting areas? Indoors and/or outdoors?

I love getting feedback from experienced keepers. Had a great long phone conversation with Bill Zovikian last week and really appreciate your insights as well. Thank you!!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
They are in a fenced in pen about 40x100 There are some area of just dirt and sand. Mulberry shrubs, Hostas, and a weather resistant house for shade with the heavy plastic flaps to keep the rain out. I will leave them out until it gets down to low 50's as long as it is not wet. Then I will bring them in for the fall/winter

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you have heat in their outdoor house? And do you ensure they go in to it at night? I'm in the process of redoing my outdoor enclosure and appreciate the feedback

Also considering converting a sulcata enclosure to some Burmese. How long or what precautions would you recommend to ensure to minimize to acceptable levels any cross contamination?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Oh, they stay out all the time during the warm months
I don't have heat to the houses, too far a distance to travel for electricity. I just check the weather daily and bring them in if it's going to be too cold at night. If the Tortoise group is clean, I would not worry about using the bigger house for the Burmese.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So am I understanding you correctly? No problem taking out sulcatas and putting in the Burmese - cross contamination wise? The sulcatas are all raised by me - for 25 years now. No health issues ever.

It's just The Behler center is soooooo paranoid about cross contamination between species. I just would want to be safe in using an outside enclosure that was housing sulcatas, converted to housing Burmese. I'm sure many others on the forum could gain from your answer! Never have seen it specifically addressed before. But lots of warnings about cross-contamination. (We really do value and need the "vet thing" and YOU!)

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
In a closed tested group, I have no issue moving one species into another enclosure. I would not mix the two species together. If you have not screened the Sulcatas for any diseases, I would not do that. If they are 25 years old and are healthy, the likelihood of carrying contagions is low.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Behler has been battling Intranuclear Coccidia over the last number of years. They try not to cross contaminate different species because of that problem. Mycoplasma pops up in Stars as well, so always screen your animals before sharing housing.

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
Behler has been battling Intranuclear Coccidia over the last number of years. They try not to cross contaminate different species because of that problem. Mycoplasma pops up in Stars as well, so always screen your animals before sharing housing.
Do you know what species they have that carry it?