Building enclosure ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey two questions, my leo goes to bed at I swear the exact same time every single day between 6 and 630 but his lamps on till 930. lamps on 12 hours 930 to 930. should i just have it set to turn off for 7. would that be bad.

question 2:

I want to build or contruct a tortoise table I have no idea how to or what kind of wood i should use for this project. and help tips or ideas on how to build a table. waterproofed aswell.

thanks
Tyler

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
You could try having the lamp on from 7a-7p and see how that works out. Is Leo up earlier in the morning?

With regards to the tortoise table, DO NOT use pine or cedar as it can cause respiratory problems. Don't use particle board either as it will fall apart easily. I'd suggest a cabinet grade plywood (just make sure it isn't pine). Its lighter than solid wood and less costly. To seal the wood, use caulking around the joints and use an epoxy sealer, preferably several coats. Just make sure to let it completely air dry and cure for at least a week. The fumes need to have ample time to dissipate.

Rubbermaid tubs and plastic kiddie pools are pretty awesome too, depending on the size of the tort. The plastic is light and easy to clean. Stay away from metal and glass as they can get very hot.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
At te moment I'm using glass for a year I raise the lamp and lower to control temperatures but thanks for the tips. I'll change the light times he does wake up a bit early.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My Sulcata usually goes to bed around 7.
7-7 works.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ya I think 7 to 7 will be my option. I was trying to stay away from getting the light on early so I could see him nights but he's sleeping lol

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do the bookcase thing... find a used one at a yard sale.. lay on its back and remove the shelves. you can line it with a shower curtain for water proof..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It seems that it is still a good idea to keep lights on indoors at least 12 hours. But resetting those hours is fine.

You can also get a bookcase on craigslist, or at a used furniture store, or an inexpensive one at places like Target. Turn it on its side and remove the shelves (you can use one to make a hide on one end).
Line this with a tarp folded at the corners and staple along the upper edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.