Angry rock puppy

HorchataSulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I have a 4 year old sulcata named Horchata and recently he's started to run up to me when I go out to sit with him and it's like he's testing to see if he can get away with biting me. I'll be working in my garden or whatnot working in the back yard and he keeps coming up, he'll nose my foot and then open his mouth to go in for a bite. Luckily sofar him nosing me gives me warning to watch what he's doing but I don't want him trying to bite me to become the normal and don't really know what to do. Is it just a territory thing and I just gotta keep watch now?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he runs your whole yard, you could make him his own enclosure in half the yard.
Otherwise, thankfully they can't out run or even walk you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4 year old sulcata named Horchata and recently he's started to run up to me when I go out to sit with him and it's like he's testing to see if he can get away with biting me. I'll be working in my garden or whatnot working in the back yard and he keeps coming up, he'll nose my foot and then open his mouth to go in for a bite. Luckily sofar him nosing me gives me warning to watch what he's doing but I don't want him trying to bite me to become the normal and don't really know what to do. Is it just a territory thing and I just gotta keep watch now?
The tortoise most likely associates you with food and tries to take a bite.

Its rare with sulcatas, but it is possible that he is being territorial. I'm leaning away from this because they don't usually bite when fighting. They ram. Food association is the most likely.

HorchataSulcata

Hawaii
The tortoise most likely associates you with food and tries to take a bite.

Its rare with sulcatas, but it is possible that he is being territorial. I'm leaning away from this because they don't usually bite when fighting. They ram. Food association is the most
If he runs your whole yard, you could make him his own enclosure in half the yard.
Otherwise, thankfully they can't out run or even walk you.
I turned my side yard into an enclosure for him so my dogs can have my main yard. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to make him not bite because I also garden over there in raised beds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe wear some knee high rain boots and let him try to bite them. When he realizes it's nothing good to eat or that it's nothing to worry about, he will leave them/you alone
Don't get bright colored ones or if you are wearing sandles, don't have bright color nail polish on. Bright colors attract them. Colors like red, orange, white, bright pink, etc will attract them.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Maybe wear some knee high rain boots and let him try to bite them. When he realizes it's nothing good to eat or that it's nothing to worry about, he will leave them/you alone
Don't get bright colored ones or if you are wearing sandles, don't have bright color nail polish on. Bright colors attract them. Colors like red, orange, white, bright pink, etc will attract them.
Yeah, it might be the bright colors and the food association. There are certain clothes that make my Russian go nuts trying to bite me when I am cleaning his area (especially pinks, reds and oranges), if I am not wearing any of these bright colors he couldn't care less. But seeing my bare hands always deserves a sniff.