Building an outside house for my russian, Anything I need to know

tortoise42

Location (City and/or State)
Utah,US
I've been thinking about building an outside enclosure for my Russian tortoise, its an old sandbox and we might make it a little bit larger, and was wondering if there was anything I needed to know before I did It here's a picture or two of the area.

IMG_3880.JPG IMG_3879.JPG

tortoise42

Utah,US
Can I Switch it between inside and out side like once a day for school or should I keep it outside or inside and not switch it that much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since it's in the front yard, I wouldn't leave him out there when no one's home. . . in fact it's pretty iffy leaving him out front at any time. Just remember when making a Russian tortoise yard: Bigger is always better, they're good diggers, they're good climbers.

tortoise42

Utah,US
Its actually in my backyard does that change anything? should I make a burrow for him or just leave him to burrow on his own, Im thinking of walling it off with chicken wire is there something else I should Use?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use hardware cloth 1/4 inch. Chicken wire they could climb. Hardware cloth 1/4 inch they shouldnt be able to put their foot in. Also bury some on the ground so he cant dig out
In the back yard you could leave him out day and night and give him a hide to sleep in. I lock mine in his hide at night. Front yard is too open for theft.