Building an enclosure/habitat, need guidance.

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana, CA
I will be working on our tortoise enclosure this weekend and I am unsure as to what to use, I would like it to be cost effective but I am aware that I will be spending a good amount of money. We don't have much space, it is a 10 ft x 6.5 ft area in our patio that I will be using. I have attached pictures, I live in Fontana, CA and its really hot most of the summer but temperature at night can get kinda chilly. I want to make sure I provide everything he needs to mimic his natural habitat. The previous keepers kept him indoors.

This patio area has just been cleaned out of the weeds that grow in it and I am unsure as to what I should build or what to use, I am worried about him digging and gophers.

I would greatly appreciate any advise in regards to get him in a new natural home. He has been in a puppy kennel, roaming inside with supervision and outside in the front lawn with supervision.

Attachments

• 20150723_203821.jpg
    20150723_203821.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20150723_203832.jpg
    20150723_203832.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20150723_203901.jpg
    20150723_203901.jpg
    993.4 KB · Views: 38

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi there!
sorry, i forget, what type of tort are we talking about?
It looks like a very positive start to me.
Th thread is bumped so hopefully you'llnow get someone who can help you!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Cinder blocks always look good and the hollow insides can be planted up there some ideas in the enclosure thread

Fontana, CA
I don't know what type either. have you established that it is a digging tortoise?
For example, my Redfoot don't dig..
I think he does dig, my brother eventually built a wood enclosure and screwed plywood on the bottom ends leaving an opening in the middle, the dirt in the yard is very sandy and rocky. I planted some St. Augustine grass and also filled it with a alfalfa/bermuda mix pellets. I put in a terracotta pot sideways to give him a shade shelter from the sun and heat. He seems to be okay in it. I still need to complete the screened cover though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks pretty shady under there. They should be someplace where there is plenty of shade, but also some sunny areas for warming up on cooler mornings and evenings. They need more shade in summer, but even with shade, they still need an underground retreat in a hot area like yours. Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/