Building a box for redfoot

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys I'm building a 4 m^2 box for my redfoot tortoise, can you suggest me how many lamps I have to use In order to reach the right temperature?
Thanks

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Tough to say...there's a lot of factors associated with this (location within your house, whether you use AC, geographic region you reside in, etc). What I would recommend is that you build it and start trying to achieve the environmental conditions before you purchase the redfoot (mid 80's temps, 70+ % humidity). You don't want to be doing this while the tortoise is present because it may become ill from too hot/cold or humid/damp conditions.

I prefer closed chambers to retain heat and humidity. This is especially relevant for those of us that do not live in a tropical climate since redfoots are a tropical tortoise. I have links in my signature that may provide some insight and there are loads of great discussions on here from Tom and others that will provide you more resources.

Lastly, I would suggest looking through Torotiselibrary.com and/or purchasing The Redfoot Manual by Mike Pingleton.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi,sorry for the lack of information, I live in south Italy I'm building a bigger box for my tortoise that will be placed in a chamber without heating consider that the chamber is isolated and winter isn't very cold.