Buddy ready for Christmas !

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
He's 28/29 yrs old. 250 pounds.
Lives in my backyard, Friendswood Texas. Had him 4/5 years. Given to me from a friend. I Take him for walks on the weekend. Has a winter house and foyure, 1 Osborne heat mat and 1 mounted heater w/thermostat. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481163192.091425.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481163207.404984.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481163218.723112.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481163231.070963.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481163241.691205.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That is adorably hilarious!!!! Buddy is a beautiful aldabra!!!!!!!! Out of curiosity, where did you purchase him?

ben awes

5 Year Member
He's 28/29 yrs old. 250 pounds.
Lives in my backyard, Friendswood Texas. Had him 4/5 years. Given to me from a friend. I Take him for walks on the weekend. Has a winter house and foyure, 1 Osborne heat mat and 1 mounted heater w/thermostat. View attachment 194066View attachment 194067View attachment 194068View attachment 194069View attachment 194070

Buddy is such a beautiful aldabra! always love seeing photos of him. Just a question - is he on the small side for being male and being in his late 20's? or maybe he just is growing at the right rate? Most aldabras in captivity grow very fast because of food availability and are near 200 pounds by 10-15 years. His size is perfect and I can already tell that my Uncle Bri will not have such a perfect shell shape - just does not have as high a dome. Thanks for posting

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Buddy had a slow start. His first owner just left him in the back yard to fend for himself with occasional carrots. She had him about 16 years.
2nd owner had him about 7 yrs. she bought him a dog house which he went in most every night. Both previous owners loved him.

Buddy grew slowly. Eating mostly StAugustine grass and weeds.
I think he's at a normal growth rate.

He's gaining about 30 pounds a year with me. I add Mazuri, Kale and other greens, lots of veggies. Not cabbage, gives him stinky gas. Daily Timothy hay cut up and presoaked in water.
And of course my yard. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481658298.924723.jpg

BILBO-03

Buddy had a slow start. His first owner just left him in the back yard to fend for himself with occasional carrots. She had him about 16 years.
2nd owner had him about 7 yrs. she bought him a dog house which he went in most every night. Both previous owners loved him.

He's gaining about 30 pounds a year with me. I add Mazuri, Kale and other greens, lots of veggies. Not cabbage, gives him stinky gas. Daily Timothy hay cut up and presoaked in water.
And of course my yard. View attachment 194645
You probably need a GIANT yard for him! He looks great by the way:)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

And of course my yard. View attachment 194645

Looks like he's giving your neighbor's yard a look over. You know, the grass is greener, longer and tastier on the OTHER side of that nice picket fence!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Mini

Can we presume Friendswood, Texas? Grass looks great

• Friendswood is a city in the U.S. state of Texas outside of the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. The city lies in Galveston and Harris counties. As of the 2010 census, the population of Friendswood was 35,805. Wikipedia