Brutus the Box Turtle at Blandford Nature Center <3

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I wanted to share one of the coolest Eastern box turtles ever with the forum! He resides at the Blandford Nature Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I'll never forget the first time I met Brutus; I noticed how adorable he was and was lucky enough to get to handle him as I arrived near the end of the day (most visitors had already left and being a tortoise owner definitely helped the staff member trust me). He is easily the most social and cheerful turtle I have ever met, very curious and affectionate!

My heart really went out to their permanent resident, so I decided to sponsor him. I received this adorable 4'' x 6'' of him in the mail that I keep at my work desk. In my donation note (which I filled out online), I asked the staff to give Brutus a hug for me as we live about 2 hours away. I was touched when I read the back of the photo I received: "Thanks for my big hug! -Brutus." Sorry for the grainy image, but I took a quick shot of the photo with my phone. The image rights belong to the Blandford Nature Center.

0821151139.jpg

Brutus' story from the Blandford Nature Center website:

"Brutus was brought in to Blandford Nature Center in 2005. He was found in Grand Rapids and was missing part of both his back legs and one eye, most likely due to an attack by a predator. Brutus would not be able to properly bury himself for hibernation in the wild."

So if you ever visit Grand Rapids, MI, make the Blandford Nature Center part of your trip; or consider sponsoring one of the adorable animals. I have also sponsored Katherine the Great (great horned owl) in addition to Brutus. The nature center is small but holds a great deal of educational material and helps to rehabilitate local wildlife (if feasible), so your donation will definitely be appreciated! :<3: Thanks for reading.