Brrr...from the cold country

elzie77

Location (City and/or State)
central oregon
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

While the Beginner Mistakes thread is a good one for new tortoise keepers to read, it really is geared more towards tortoises. If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a desert box turtle? I'd like to see pictures so we can be sure. The advice we offer may be different if it's a box TURTLE or a tortoise. And, if it IS a desert tortoise, it was illegal for you to take it out of the state it came from. Just sayin...
Well, so much I know. I will try for a pic today, but I would never violate a law intentionally. I thought I had some kind of tortoise. She is a pet, like my dog and there's never been much info coming to me about all this. I got her from a roommate that abandoned her and left with rent due, never to be tracked down. I couldn't find anyone, so she chose to move with me rather than being left at a doorstep or in a stinky pet store. Dora seems happy, eats good, plays in her water pan and digs holes where ever she wants. Also, she squeaks when she is done hibernating and we jump to her every whim. All my info has come from self-proclaimed people, so I hope she is a tortoise.

elzie77

central oregon
I doubt a small wild bird would be an issue.
Hi, why I asked was because this bluejay (rather large) was dancing around Dora and squawking loud. Dora was hiding in her shell and after I came out,
Dora ran under the porch to her hole and wouldn't come out. I think she was scared of it but she likes other animals.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Can't wait to see pictures of this guy to find out what he is.

How large a turtle/tortoise are we talking about? I wouldn't generally worry about blue jays, but if he's small enough I suppose there could be some risk.

What is his diet like?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hi, why I asked was because this bluejay (rather large) was dancing around Dora and squawking loud. Dora was hiding in her shell and after I came out,
Dora ran under the porch to her hole and wouldn't come out. I think she was scared of it but she likes other animals.
Yeah Blue jay's can be a little scary for sure...sounds like your tort is smart enough to hide if it feels threatened tho.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If they are anything like magpies they will go for the eyes, so Dora is very sensible to hide!

elzie77

central oregon
Can't wait to see pictures of this guy to find out what he is.

How large a turtle/tortoise are we talking about? I wouldn't generally worry about blue jays, but if he's small enough I suppose there could be some risk.

What is his diet like?
I think she's too big to be carried off, but there was a large owl here a year ago that looked big enough to carry a cat or dog off. We never had problems with it coming too close to the yard.

elzie77

central oregon
So I found a note from years ago and she is a desert tortoise and female. I hope that's right, I believed the person who told me. They did say romaine lettuce was great for her, but I found out that other stuff is better. I feed her spinach, parsley, bean sprouts and last year she got some of my well loved kale. Hope this is a good diet for her.