• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Well, as some of your active TFO members know we added a new breeder male to our colony several months back. three of our males, the three largest and most active breeders have been fighting. Prior to our new addition, Alfa, absolutely no fighting displayed among the original three males. We have witnessed both Homer and Cowboy engage Alfa on a regular basis, actually even both at the same time. Just a word of history and past observations, we have had as high as seven big males and sixteen females together in the past and never any issues. One observation is Alfa gets confused and has mounted Homer, resulting in Alfa getting flipped off and over. Leading up to the above pictures, Alfa was mating the female and Homer started ramming Alfa after the mating was completed. Actually Cowboy also, at the same time was pushing Alfa while Homer was ramming. When this got really bad I ran outside and intervened, preventing Alfa from getting flipped over. Homer followed Alfa for about one hour ramming him from the rear, as if he was pushing him away from the area. At the end, they both just looked at each other face to face and begin to browse on the wet grass and weeds, like nothing had just took place. Interesting further observation is that our smallest and least active male, Sampson, has been way standoffish from the bigger and more active three. This has been a very interesting and active breeding season.

34qs9bt.jpg

4g56y8.jpg

nl5yrm.jpg

21brfyx.jpg

Here they are after the fight!

f0di5t.jpg

34jad8n.jpg

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
What is the name of the wining tortoise is it Alfa? Could you separate them or will they also push you and if one flips how can you un flip them?!!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I voted unsure. I think it is a little of both. Also I think a little of just a sparing/play type thing that some wild animals will do. When you see it in person, does it look and sound vicious? Also, can they right themselves? If not, how do you help them to get upright? Has anyone ever gotten hurt? I can't imagine what it must sound like. A video would be cool. You need to get a video camera:D

BTW, was that cowboy that got flipped? Did he actually get flipped all the way?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
leonardo the tmnt said:
What is the name of the wining tortoise is it Alfa? Could you separate them or will they also push you and if one flips how can you un flip them?!!

Homer was the aggressor. Easy to assist them flipping back upright. They are both both very heavy, extremely strong, and very determined while in battle. Intervention is possible, need to just be careful!

wellington said:
I think it is a little of both.

I will add, i went and spoke to the keeper at the zoo where Alfa had come from and she indicated that there three males on display, including Alfa, has never displayed such activities while at the zoo. Found this to be interesting!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Oh my goodness!! I imagine it's not easy to right an upside down Aldabra! Good thing you intervened. I say alpha domination!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww, so sweet, they kissed and made up. Did you spray them to get them to quit? I see they are wet in the last two pics, after the scuffle.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Alpha domination,
or Alfa domination.
I don't know how you would expect Cowboy and Homer to just let a guy named Alfa join them in their little harem. If you changed his name to Gamma, perhaps, they would see that there's still room for them at the top, and relax a little:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Edna said:
Alpha domination,
or Alfa domination.
I don't know how you would expect Cowboy and Homer to just let a guy named Alfa join them in their little harem. If you changed his name to Gamma, perhaps, they would see that there's still room for them at the top, and relax a little

LOL!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Oh, thank goodness you intervened. Someone could have gotten hurt. But the last pic. Says it all...kiss and make up. Too cute

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Wow, interesting he never displayed this behavior before.
I can't imagine how scary it has to feel for them when they roll, poor guy. So they can right themselves? I hope they ease up!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I believe it just shows that while a Cowboy may not understand Homer,
He will kindly back him up against an Alfa interloper.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
bigred said:
I dont think your other males like the new guy mating with the girls

That is what is seems to be. Yesterday was eventless, other than mating. However, this morning during feeding time Alfa and Homer were fuss'n! (8-29-12).

1zvsox1.jpg

Thank goodness they don't bite!

rh7bqt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.