Breakfast time

VickiC

Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte Fl
They are cuties :) How's their enclosure set up now?
Not great pics but think we finally got it right. Hubby made the top..basically rebuilt the enclosure. Temp and humidity are on point and we added a warm humidifier if additional humidity is needed. They love the wheat grass we planted and are very active now. Working on the outdoor enclosure for the lanai now.

Attachments

• 20231121_094110.jpg
    20231121_094110.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231121_094058.jpg
    20231121_094058.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231121_094046.jpg
    20231121_094046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231121_094039.jpg
    20231121_094039.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Great news! And the cover is done nicely! And watch them not to chew the gnome. They are omnivorous after all :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hang the tree from the top :)

I see some moss in the enclosure. Better remove it. They might eat it and it could be lethal.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It holds moisture really well, that's true. However, sometimes some tortoises eat it. As it can't be digested it results in impactions. Sometimes lethal.

However with proper substrate and topped enclosure you can keep humidity high enough. So the moss is unnecessary and unsafe.

I'm not sure if it's soil as a substrate (may be coco coir?) - usually it's enough to pour water in the corners to keep lower layer of substrate wet and top layer dry and keep humidity high for a week or so.

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
It holds moisture really well, that's true. However, sometimes some tortoises eat it. As it can't be digested it results in impactions. Sometimes lethal.

However with proper substrate and topped enclosure you can keep humidity high enough. So the moss is unnecessary and unsafe.

I'm not sure if it's soil as a substrate (may be coco coir?) - usually it's enough to pour water in the corners to keep lower layer of substrate wet and top layer dry and keep humidity high for a week or so.
Coco Coir and Repisoil...a little organic topsoil for wheat grass. They are definitely growing. Should have weighed them when I got them. Any other advice? You have been awesome. Only coming here for advice. Dr. Google is very confusing. Same problem with my bearded dragon Rodan (Can you tell I love Godzilla lol)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's a good idea to keep track of their weight (once a week maybe). If they are steadily gaining weight - they are mostly fine (one week off is not a reason to worry). As I'm not an experienced owner and can't decide if tortoise is healthy from a glimpse this helps me to stay calm :)

Yes, stay away from Dr.Google :) TortoiseForum is much more helpful :)

Other advice.. Hm. Plan your outdoors enclosure so you can separate your little guys, think about shade and cool spots, don't underestimate their climbing abilities. Maybe some sprinkers.

For the indoors - check temperature and humidity at the shell level (couple of inches above substrate). UVB is enough to be on 4 hours a day, use a LED strip to provide ambient light for 12 hours a day.

Don't forget to come back with updates and questions :)

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
It's a good idea to keep track of their weight (once a week maybe). If they are steadily gaining weight - they are mostly fine (one week off is not a reason to worry). As I'm not an experienced owner and can't decide if tortoise is healthy from a glimpse this helps me to stay calm :)

Yes, stay away from Dr.Google :) TortoiseForum is much more helpful :)

Other advice.. Hm. Plan your outdoors enclosure so you can separate your little guys, think about shade and cool spots, don't underestimate their climbing abilities. Maybe some sprinkers.

For the indoors - check temperature and humidity at the shell level (couple of inches above substrate). UVB is enough to be on 4 hours a day, use a LED strip to provide ambient light for 12 hours a day.

Don't forget to come back with updates and questions :)
We currently have 3 hides so they can separate if they want and they do. There will be 2 outdoor enclosure. 1st one on the lanai and will be quite large. Thinking about to a Bio/Eco enclosure. Will share pics when done. We are starting to prepare 2nd one in the yard. Planting safe plants for shade and munching. Also digging down and putting mesh so they can't dig out. Hubby is very handy and creative. Will be awhile before the 2nd one is done.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If you are in Florida you can keep them outside most of the time, when they grow up. But you will need heated night boxes.

Redfoots don't dig much, but if they do they can harm themselves when digging through the mesh - better to use cinder blocks or wood. They don't climb much as well, but when they do - sometimes they stuck in many stupid ways.

If that happens that you have three males or on female - you will *need* to separate them. Better to plan it from the very beginning.

I'm eager to see the photos of the new enclosures! If you can post step by step photos this could be very helpful for new members here. And you can get some guidelines from Zeropilot as well (watch his video on Redfoot Enclosure Florida Style on Youtube).

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
If you are in Florida you can keep them outside most of the time, when they grow up. But you will need heated night boxes.

Redfoots don't dig much, but if they do they can harm themselves when digging through the mesh - better to use cinder blocks or wood. They don't climb much as well, but when they do - sometimes they stuck in many stupid ways.

If that happens that you have three males or on female - you will *need* to separate them. Better to plan it from the very beginning.

I'm eager to see the photos of the new enclosures! If you can post step by step photos this could be very helpful for new members here. And you can get some guidelines from Zeropilot as well (watch his video on Redfoot Enclosure Florida Style on Youtube).
I will definitely take and share pics. Pretty proud of my husband's work 😃

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl

Oh and we live in Port Charlotte FL 🌴