Box Turtles Unboxed

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Today was the day. It is beautiful here in Texas and I could not wait to get my three babies out of the rubbermaids and into their enclosure. I've been working for a couple of weeks to repair the damage done by our November ice storm. I've still got new plants to buy and put in the ground, but their kingdom is secure.

My eldest, Scully, was ready to roll, while the other two were a bit more timid, but came around once out in the sun. We might have one or two more freezing temps, but my gut says we're done for the year.

Here are some spring has sprung pics.
Big Scully.JPGScully Out.JPGMulderxena.JPGSculxena.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Bibbit said:
Today was the day. It is beautiful here in Texas and I could not wait to get my three babies out of the rubbermaids and into their enclosure. I've been working for a couple of weeks to repair the damage done by our November ice storm. I've still got new plants to buy and put in the ground, but their kingdom is secure.

My eldest, Scully, was ready to roll, while the other two were a bit more timid, but came around once out in the sun. We might have one or two more freezing temps, but my gut says we're done for the year.

Here are some spring has sprung pics.

Very nice looking Box turtles, also I can tell it is in a glass wall outdoor enclosure. You may already posted the entire enclosure, May I ask where I can locate that post? or can you care to share it again?

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice turtles. I can't wait for that weather to get here. The enclosure is really nice. However, is the UVB able to get through the fine screen?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
UVB should get through fine. The screen is not a solid material. It is a pattern of small squares, so sun gets through. Since you said this, though, I looked up the screen. It does not advertise any UVB protection. I think it should be fine.

Now I'm off to get some more plants.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
what species of box turtle are they? Terrapene _________?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I've got two three-toed and two ornates. They are finally getting active and eating.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Bibbit said:
I've got two three-toed and two ornates. They are finally getting active and eating.

I visited your other thread. You have a wonderful and beautiful enclosure.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. It took a lot of time, but this spring I'm definitely glad that I put in the time and money to build just what I wanted.

I'm exited we are finally past the freezes. I planted some Ivy to go up the support timbers yesterday and today I'm going to buy a few more plants to pretty up the place.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I had all 12 of my year - 4 year olds out in a tub for a warm swim yesterday while I sat by and read in the sun. What a great day! They all seemed to be enjoying themselves after a winter being couped up indoors. Everybody is fully awake and ready for the world now including the three ornates that I just nursed back from near death from RI and Vitamin A deficency. We are in the planning stages of putting in a juvenile garden for the 3 - 4 year olds to live in this summer or next. I am still scared to put them out side full time. The heat we have here in Dallas the last few years has been brutal!

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Yeah, and after the freezing winter, it will probably be crazy hot again. I dug out holes for the hides in my garden to hopefully keep a good place they can go into for something a little cooler.

My most active 3 toe is sitting at his doorway watching the world when I go out. He's a hoot. My other two are still hiding away, but I have gotten them to eat a couple of times, so I guess they are in full swing too. I like to sit and work a little while on the bench in my enclosure and watch them do a bunch of nothing. They're amazing little creatures.