box turtle questions...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I think I'm loosing the battle with myself on not getting another tortoise (or turtle) I am so in love with the look of box turtles but do not know much about them to see if I can meet a hatchlings care...
Particularly- protein. What % of diet is it and how many different items fit the bill? I live in ohio so bugs in the winter will be an issue, not to mention I am kind of a sissy about killing any living thing...worms I can cope with but is this enough? Hard boiled eggs?
Habitat- I have an extra 4.5x3.5 enclosure. Its solid plexi and water proof. How long would this last me?
Uv requirements. I have a few extra powersuns. Do these work well?

Types- could anyone give me a pic of yours to show me the looks of each type.

Thanks in advance.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
This idea isn't for everyone but it provides a year round indoor supply of worms. You will never run out.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/downloads/pdf/materials/wormbin.pdf

I'm fortunate to live in a climate that supports an outdoor year round worm bin for the boxies.
I use all of my kitchen scraps as well as the waste from the bottom of my bird cages.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411916862.103160.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411916904.399819.jpghere is a couple pictures of my three toed Boxturtle. I have just had her a few months, she was a rescue. And I do not know much about box turtles at all. She likes worms and crickets and I've been told that you can feed them slugs and snailsetc. They can also eat cooked chicken, and other cooked meats also if you don't like the bugs :)there are a couple hatchling care sheets in the Boxturtle section you can check out and they also give you some information on other sites to look at.are you only have one Russian tortoise and one box turtle but I love them both, they seem to both have very outgoing personalities and you're not scared of much and do a really good job of trampoline anything you put in the enclosure :)you are very brave to get a hatchling, I'm not sure I could do that although I would love it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
That enclosure size is plenty big enough for the life of a box turtle. As for protein, even for adults I keep it at 50% protein. Depending on the time of year, there are times that live food is all they will eat. That time of year would be now. Come spring they eat anything. I buy superworms and nightcrawlers from PetSuppliesPlus. Powersuns are too much for box turtles IMO. I use a 5.0 UVB fluorescent with black incandescents for heat. I live in Ohio as well. Are you looking to adopt an adult or get a baby?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All my box turtles live outside 24/7/365. I have a big pile of garden trash in a corner on the high side of the yard and they hibernate in there. I have some yearlings that live in a plastic tub until they get big enough to move into the yard. In this picture you can barely see the 3-toes and one Florida:

box turtles 9-28-14 b.jpg

We had a bit of rain last night and the run-off from the roof filled up their tub. I had to drill some holes in the bottom of the tub.

Here's where my baby gulf coast box turtles live until they're big enough to move outside:

baby box turtles 9-19-14 a.jpg baby box turtles 9-19-14 b.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Here are a couple pics. The lighter colored one is a gulf coast/three toed integrade box turtle. The one with the little darker shell is a pure three toed.

Attachments

• Peanut8.5.14.jpg
    Peanut8.5.14.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 44
  • crush9.11.14no.2.jpg
    crush9.11.14no.2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The turtle in that second picture is a beauty! Love all the red skin.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The turtle in that second picture is a beauty! Love all the red skin.
Yeah, I've always been amazed at all the red cast on this one. I can't figure out the sex of this particular turtle though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, he's just got to be male! However, I have seen some pretty colorful females in the past - just few and far between.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's pretty little as well. When it comes to three toeds, aren't the males usually smaller? Granted he is only 3 years old, but so is the other turtle I posted. And his growth has slowed down.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I think the box turtle hatchling care sheet here should answer most of your questions. I do an indoor worm bin, it's so easy, occasionally buy mealworms, boiled eggs, etc. I hate bugs, but they eat wiggly things best when young. I wouldn't touch worms without gloves at first, now I'm hand feeding bloody cut up pieces of them barehanded. It's something you get used to I think.

Mine are Easterns, and are too young to really be showing species "trademarks" but will usually be more colorful than other varieties. Easterns were recommended to me as a beginner type that is more cold tolerant.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The problem is that she is in Ohio, so needs to obtain a permit if she wants to keep easterns.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That enclosure size is plenty big enough for the life of a box turtle. As for protein, even for adults I keep it at 50% protein. Depending on the time of year, there are times that live food is all they will eat. That time of year would be now. Come spring they eat anything. I buy superworms and nightcrawlers from PetSuppliesPlus. Powersuns are too much for box turtles IMO. I use a 5.0 UVB fluorescent with black incandescents for heat. I live in Ohio as well. Are you looking to adopt an adult or get a baby?

I would love the opportunity to start with a baby but not set in stone. Thanks for all the info!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think the box turtle hatchling care sheet here should answer most of your questions. I do an indoor worm bin, it's so easy, occasionally buy mealworms, boiled eggs, etc. I hate bugs, but they eat wiggly things best when young. I wouldn't touch worms without gloves at first, now I'm hand feeding bloody cut up pieces of them barehanded. It's something you get used to I think.

Mine are Easterns, and are too young to really be showing species "trademarks" but will usually be more colorful than other varieties. Easterns were recommended to me as a beginner type that is more cold tolerant.

Is protein something you need a variety of or is one or two types good? Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
View attachment 97705View attachment 97707here is a couple pictures of my three toed Boxturtle. I have just had her a few months, she was a rescue. And I do not know much about box turtles at all. She likes worms and crickets and I've been told that you can feed them slugs and snailsetc. They can also eat cooked chicken, and other cooked meats also if you don't like the bugs :)there are a couple hatchling care sheets in the Boxturtle section you can check out and they also give you some information on other sites to look at.are you only have one Russian tortoise and one box turtle but I love them both, they seem to both have very outgoing personalities and you're not scared of much and do a really good job of trampoline anything you put in the enclosure :)you are very brave to get a hatchling, I'm not sure I could do that although I would love it.
These are beautiful! I just love the color. I read through the care sheets too. Good stuff there just wanted to see what additional keepers say :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
All my box turtles live outside 24/7/365. I have a big pile of garden trash in a corner on the high side of the yard and they hibernate in there. I have some yearlings that live in a plastic tub until they get big enough to move into the yard. In this picture you can barely see the 3-toes and one Florida:

View attachment 97712

We had a bit of rain last night and the run-off from the roof filled up their tub. I had to drill some holes in the bottom of the tub.

Here's where my baby gulf coast box turtles live until they're big enough to move outside:

View attachment 97713 View attachment 97714

Thank you! I have a pretty good set up for outdoors. My sully is growing out of hers fast so I have a 17x 20 section split between her and my russian. So I would move the newbie there when ready. That baby gulf coast is too cute! Do they get much color?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Gulf coast boxies are not very colorful usually. The ones from the Florida panhandle tend to be almost uniformly black. The LA ones tend to be uniformly tan colored.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine don't. I have 1.7 gulf coast box turtles and all of them are plain bone color with no markings or design.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Ok, I just copied this from a box turtle website. Any adds or favorite foods that are not on here????
Also with hard boiled egg- is it the white & yoke both or one or the other better?

PROTEINmakes up about 50%

Use regularly—Natural live, whole foods like pesticide free earthworms, slugs, super worms, waxworms, beetles, grubs, sow bugs. Boiled, chopped chicken, feeder fish or beef heart.
Occasionally—Low-fat soaked dog kibble, soaked puppy Milkbones®, low-fat premium canned dog food, cooked lean steak, mealworms and crickets that have been gutloaded on dark greens, Prepared box turtle food products.
Less frequently—Pinky mice, boiled egg, tofu, low-fat cat kibble.
Never—Due to the possibility of contamination, fat content and salt: raw meats, fatty meats or processed meats.

*****-Venison & Sweet potato Dog Food -natural balance brand or Wellness.

VEGETABLESmake up about 30%

Use regularly—summer and winter squashes, peas in the pod, sweet potatoes, okra, grated carrots, green beans, wax beans and cactus pads with all spines removed.
Occasionally—Mushrooms of all types, corn on the cob and tomatoes.
Less frequently—Bean sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, beets and cauliflower.
Never—Avocado peel.

LEAFY DARK GREENSmake up 10%

Use regularly—Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, romaine, wheat grass and turnip greens.
Occasionally—Red leaf lettuce, endive, parsley, kale and Swiss chard.
Less frequently—Iceberg lettuce and spinach.
Never—Rhubarb, potato and tobacco leaves.

FRUITS make up the remaining 10%

REGULARLY—Grapes, apples, fresh figs, blackberries, raspberries, mulberries, peaches, crabapples, strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwis, cherries and persimmons, banana and most other fruits.