Box turtle beak too long? (photo)

L a u r i e

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland USA
Seeing her every day as I do, I can't be a good judge if her beak has grown too long. I know it's not outrageously long, but is the middle too low? She ignores cuttlebones. Here is a picture, can anyone let me know how it looks? Thank you in advance! TurdysBeak 2IMG_3450.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not bad yet. I have a piece of old cement that I feed my box turtles on.

box turtle feeding station.jpg

I just love box turtle faces. What a pretty face!

L a u r i e

Maryland USA
It's not bad yet. I have a piece of old cement that I feed my box turtles on.

View attachment 171788

I just love box turtle faces. What a pretty face!

Oh man, I have been doing it wrong! I feed her on clean squares of cardboard to keep her food clean. No wonder her beak is growing. So she won't crack it or hurt herself if I give her a slab of slate or something? Thank you for your reply! (And I'm sure she thanks you for the compliment!) :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh man, I have been doing it wrong! I feed her on clean squares of cardboard to keep her food clean. No wonder her beak is growing. So she won't crack it or hurt herself if I give her a slab of slate or something? Thank you for your reply! (And I'm sure she thanks you for the compliment!) :)
She definitely won't hurt herself on it. Their beaks are like your finger nails - it just needs to wear down.

A piece of flat slate, rick or tile is perfect for serving food on :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the wild, turtles and tortoises have to bite off their food. They graze and chomp off pieces. Picking up food off a rough surface helps keep the beak trimmed.