Bodhi's room - redone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
Again i want to thank everyone here on the forums, the links and info you gave me is priceless if it makes my friends life just a little better....thank you

Ok...so i went out and got Coco Coir and changed the substrate, as well as adding 2 water dishes to help with the humidity.

If you see anything else I may have overlooked please let me know.

Thanks again
Steve & Bodhi

Attachments

• IMG_8404.JPG
    IMG_8404.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 132

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you a rock hound Steve? Those geodes are very pretty! I like your habitat, but I'm not so sure about the "fruity pebbles." I can't see your lights. What kind of light/heat is supplied?

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Are you a rock hound Steve? Those geodes are very pretty! I like your habitat, but I'm not so sure about the "fruity pebbles." I can't see your lights. What kind of light/heat is supplied?

We have a 160W powersun UV light, a 100W ceramic heat emitter, and an under the tank heat pad, I did notice that with the Coco Coir the temp dropped a bit so Im going to get another ceramic heat emitter to fix that problem.

The "fuity pebbles" are an diet supplement, it has corn meal, soybean meal, and other dried fruits with come calcium....are these no good either? lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not for sulcatas. They shouldn't have but a bite of fruit for a treat every so often.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Looks much better! Kudos on getting the coir and caring enough to do it so promptly. Does your tort seem to prefer it? It certainly will drop the temperature a bit, since it retains more humidity, and water has a very high specific heat (amount of energy needed to raise its temperature, essentially).

As long as you have an assortment of tortoise-healthy leafy greens, you will not need many if any supplements, and they definitely don't encounter corn or soy in nature, and they won't need such high amounts of sugar and protein. A little won't kill them, but it likely won't do any good and in excess could be quite bad. Pretty sure that a bit of raw fruit (especially cactus fruit, which you can feed ad nauseum) won't hurt, but it should not be a staple and only a rare treat. But the experts will tell you more certainly and more clearly what's what in no time, so hold tight and maybe pull the supplements for the time being. :p

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
It looks so much better and more inviting than the pellets did! Good job!! I agree with the others here - the fruity pebble food is the only thing I say that looked out of place. ;)

And, I'm curious, too - does Bohdi love it, does he/she seem happier?!

One question about your light - is your UV bulb a MVB bulb? I've read through a lot of the threads here, and they mention that the MVB (mercury vapor bulbs) UV bulbs are the safest for our shelled friends - I remember reading that the coil fluorescent ones can end up damaging Sulcatas' sight and lead to blindness.

(Any experts want to explain that more eloquently for me?)

;)

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
It is a mercury vapor uvb lamp

Bodhi seems to like the changes we made to his room, and I guess Ill take the fruity pebble food out.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
The enclosure definitely looks nice! Lots of decorations :) Make sure you feed him lots of varied, dark greens!

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Thanks for letting me know, Kalgodric. :) I'm so glad that Bodhi likes it - and it seems like you're a wonderful owner for getting him/her what he/she needs.

I'm a huge rock hound... and I really like the geodes and rocks you've got placed around the enclosure. I'm a stay at home momma with a (for the most part) unused education. I'm 2 courses shy of being a Graduate Gemologist. I'm a bench jeweler, too. If it has anything to do with jewelry, I do it - and if has anything to do with rocks, minerals, stones, metals and other intoxicating earth sciences, I'm a complete nerd about. :D

I've got a huge chunk of rough rhodochrosite in one of the corners of Sheldon's enclosure - and he loves to cuddle with it. I've got a Buddha on top of one of Sheldon's hides, too. I have a lot of fun decorating Sheldon's table... it's much like having a living zen garden in my living room. <3 Better than bonsai, any day!

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
Honey said:
Thanks for letting me know, Kalgodric. :) I'm so glad that Bodhi likes it - and it seems like you're a wonderful owner for getting him/her what he/she needs.

I'm a huge rock hound... and I really like the geodes and rocks you've got placed around the enclosure. I'm a stay at home momma with a (for the most part) unused education. I'm 2 courses shy of being a Graduate Gemologist. I'm a bench jeweler, too. If it has anything to do with jewelry, I do it - and if has anything to do with rocks, minerals, stones, metals and other intoxicating earth sciences, I'm a complete nerd about. :D

I've got a huge chunk of rough rhodochrosite in one of the corners of Sheldon's enclosure - and he loves to cuddle with it. I've got a Buddha on top of one of Sheldon's hides, too. I have a lot of fun decorating Sheldon's table... it's much like having a living zen garden in my living room. <3 Better than bonsai, any day!

Thank you :) Bodhi seems to love his new setup!
Honey, I dont have anywhere near the information you have on geodes, I just thought they looked cool lol

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The enclosure looks real good and should last Bodhi about a month or 2 before he out grows it!hehehe Well, maybe not 2 months but the the day is comming faster than you might think!

Yah, get rid of the fruity pebble things. It's ok to give occationally but not daily. I would suggest once a week till it's gone then switch over to fresh fruits for his treats. Or you could feed it to your other tortoises (redfoots, yellowfoots, Russians)

Status
Not open for further replies.