New with sulcata questions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Kathleen G sent me a private conversation but I think she would be better served if you all were able to respond to her questions. Here's what she wrote:

Hi everyone! I inherited a now 7 yr old sulcata. (HE was my sons who passed away. His girlfriend said she'd adopt him. After a yr, needed us to tortoise-sit for a couple of weeks--4 months ago!!) I have learned so much from this forum. Thank you. My main mistakes were diet. "Bodhi" LOVES kale, broccoli, and all the things I found out I shouldn't be feeding him! Now to my questions... He has a 4x4' box in the house where we keep him and now that the weather is warming up in northern CA we put him outside in an approx 12x12' enclosure on the lawn. He loves to try to climb up the walls of both areas. Consequently, I have noticed some cuts on the backs of his hind legs from poking from the "spines" (I don't know what their technical term is) on the rear of his shell. What can I do to treat these? I don't want these to get infected. Should I take him to a vet? (Lordy, that'll be a fun field trip!). Again, thanks for everyone's help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kathleen:

Welcome to the Forum! I'm so sorry to hear about your son.

Your tortoise doesn't need a vet, but he DOES need a bigger space. Just put Neosporin on the raw spots and he'll be fine.

12'x12 is still a little small, however, he should get used to living in there after a couple weeks and stop climbing the walls. He'll need a hiding place to get out of the sun (not a little oven sitting in the sun), a waterer and maybe a bush or two.

Can we see pictures?