Blister on Leg!

Tortoise George

My Russian Tortoise got a blister on his front leg, right next to the shell. I went to clean it and it popped open, pushing out all of the pus. I cleaned it really good with an antibiotic solution, diluted of course, and then put neosporin on it. He has not been quite as active as usual and mostly just sleeps all day and hardly eats. He use to soak himself in his bowl and he no longer does that so I have to give him nightly baths. The wound has not healed shut in the last couple of days and is still split between the skin and the shell.

He is housed in a 40 gallon tank. Has temperatures 85 on warm side with lower temp on cool side. He is on those bark chip thingys but I am wondering if he struggles to move around with these. He does have a UVB light as well. He eats mostly romaine lettuce. I have tried other greens but he does not seem a fan. Same with the pellets. And yes, I do sprinkle calcium on atleast once a week.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum. Maybe you should re-post your first post in the "Tortoise Health" section and give more details of how he is housed and some pictures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian Tortoise got a blister on his front leg, right next to the shell. I went to clean it and it popped open, pushing out all of the pus. I cleaned it really good with an antibiotic solution, diluted of course, and then put neosporin on it. He has not been quite as active as usual and mostly just sleeps all day and hardly eats. He use to soak himself in his bowl and he no longer does that so I have to give him nightly baths. The wound has not healed shut in the last couple of days and is still split between the skin and the shell.

He is housed in a 40 gallon tank. Has temperatures 85 on warm side with lower temp on cool side. He is on those bark chip thingys but I am wondering if he struggles to move around with these. He does have a UVB light as well. He eats mostly romaine lettuce. I have tried other greens but he does not seem a fan. Same with the pellets. And yes, I do sprinkle calcium on atleast once a week.

Hello and welcome.

What size and age tortoise have you got?
Is it wild caught or captive bred?
Where did you get it and how long have you had it?
Where are you?
85 is fine for the warm side during the day, but does he have a basking area that gets close to 100?
What type of UV bulb? Coil type cfl?

Lets start with these answers and go from there.

Tortoise George

He is about adult size but unsure of age as I got him from Petsmart. I've only had him for about two weeks now. I live in Arizona so it is pretty hot. He does have an elevated basking area to climb up on but he would much rather burrow directly in the middle of the tank and sleep all day. It is a Zoomed Reptile UVB bulb coil type

Attachments

• 20170618_203129.jpg
    20170618_203129.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is about adult size but unsure of age as I got him from Petsmart. I've only had him for about two weeks now. I live in Arizona so it is pretty hot. He does have an elevated basking area to climb up on but he would much rather burrow directly in the middle of the tank and sleep all day. It is a Zoomed Reptile UVB bulb coil type

There are many possibilities about what the blister could be, but a big part of the issue is going to be caused by incorrect conditions.

Looks like you went to the pet store and got the usual bad pet store advice. Please don't feel discouraged. This happens to lots of people. We will help you get things all sorted out, if you'll let us. Pet stores give bad info. Sorry, but its true. They sell dangerous products at a high price, and I would encourage you to return most of that junk, once you learn what you really need. Most of your tortoise supply shopping will be done at the hard ware store.
No ramped water bowls.
No coil bulbs for UV.
No red bulbs for night.
No night heat at all for this species, unless you live inside a refrigerator.
No little glass tanks.
No deep double domes.
No running loose in the house or yard.

Read these two threads and then come back and blast us with all your questions. Make me explain any of these assertions that don't make sense.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tortoise George

I am indeed curious as to why these things are wrong? Can you please elaborate? Also, my substrate is indeed the stuff they had him in at the pet store so what is wrong with that as opposed to just plain dirt?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am indeed curious as to why these things are wrong? Can you please elaborate? Also, my substrate is indeed the stuff they had him in at the pet store so what is wrong with that as opposed to just plain dirt?
To elaborate :
Ramped water bowls are a flip hazard and have caused tortoises to drown, a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer, big enough for the tortoise to climb in and soak is recommended. This should be sunk in to the substrate.
Coil bulbs have been known to cause eye problems and blindness in tortoises, even some of those that don't don't provide the right levels of UVB. A strip UVB with a heat lamp or an all in one MVB are safer choices.
Tortoises need total darkness to sleep properly and red bulbs have also been said to encourage the tortoises to eat their substrate.
Russians come from areas where night temperatures may drop considerably even in summer. So night heat is not necessary and unnatural for them unless you get seriously freezy nights.
The absolute minimum sized enclosure for this species is 4 foot by 8 foot, they are active, curious animals who patrol huge territories in the wild and need to be able to move and exercise in order to keep healthy and for their digestive system to work properly.
Temperatures cannot be controlled properly in the house or loose in the yard, floor temps are very different to average room temperature, draughts may occur and obects may be consumed that are not safe, even a dust bunny can cause impaction or kill and accidents will happen. Stepping on tortoises is quite common, one even got its head squashed in a door recently, a tortoise should have a dedicated safe environment where it feels secure, its own territory.
If you are using orchid bark, that should be fine as a substrate.

Reactions: Tom

Tortoise George

Wow this is so much I didnt know! I am so glad that I joined this forum! What alternative substrates are good because he seems to have a rough time moving around with the bark as its so loose.
Woke up this morning and his other leg is pretty swollen. No red blister like the other one got it just looks swollen and he can barely move in. Guess at this point I am going to just have to make a vet appt :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I think Adam explained it all very well.

The substrate is the one thing they tend to get right, but you can get that substrate much cheaper in bulk at a garden center.

If anything is still not clear about any of this, keep asking questions. We won't be irritated. We are here to talk torts and your questions will fuel the conversation.

Tortoise George

He has a very large zoomed reptile tank with the long hooded light holder that holds up to 4 bulbs. I do have a heat bulb on one side, is there a UVB bulb or should I get another hooded fixture in order to house the strip UVB?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow this is so much I didnt know! I am so glad that I joined this forum! What alternative substrates are good because he seems to have a rough time moving around with the bark as its so loose.
Woke up this morning and his other leg is pretty swollen. No red blister like the other one got it just looks swollen and he can barely move in. Guess at this point I am going to just have to make a vet appt :(

Petsmart sells wild caught imported tortoises, and they can come in with all sorts of maladies. Call the store and arrange for them to pay for the vet visit.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Agreed, vet visit and get Petsmart to pay for it.
Coco coir and cypress mulch are both good alternative substrates.
Many prefer a UV tube, but an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) can provide heat, light and UVB in one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has a very large zoomed reptile tank with the long hooded light holder that holds up to 4 bulbs. I do have a heat bulb on one side, is there a UVB bulb or should I get another hooded fixture in order to house the strip UVB?

In your first post you said he was in a 40 gallon tank…

In either case, the ZooMed or the 40 is wayyyyyyyy too small. They need an area around 4x8' or larger.

Those tanks and their fitted lighting hoods on the top do not meet tortoise needs very well. For a russian tortoise, you only need one or two elements. A 65 watt flood bulb in a home depot ceramic based fixture works perfectly. Hang it from over head and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it. If your tortoise gets outside into a large outdoor enclosure on a regular basis, then you won't need indoor UV at all. If you still want indoor UV, then there are several options available. Best to choose your UV tube based on the mounting height you'll be needing. Some need to be mounted 10-12 inches away and others need to be 20-22" away.

Tortoise George

Also, he is really not a fan of the fiber pellets for turtles. The only thing he really likes is Romaine Lettuce? Is there any other way that I can ensure that he is getting his fiber?

Tortoise George

Yes its the zoomed 40 gallon tank. But good to know that it is too small :/
He goes outside everyday when it cools down a little but since the sun is almost down by then he doesnt get much UV.