Cut on baby sulcata's leg, help!

Maylin_4_sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
We have two baby sulcatas going on 3 months old. They've both been pretty active and eat regularly. They have a uv light as well as a heat emitter. I soak them every day for about 20 minutes. Their diet consists of primarily weeds and grass with some greens here and there. All seemed fine until I noticed a fairly large cut or gash on the underside of one of their legs. I did not notice it until I gave him his bath tonight. He still moves it around regularly, and noticed no changes in his behavior. It looks like the wound is right where his leg begins. There has been no sight of blood or anything, nor was it bleeding when I initially noticed. Their enclosure had mostly coco coir, and some designated tortoise chip bedding. I have already thrown out the chips and replaced with all coco coir as perhaps maybe it got cut on that. Based off what I was able to find I cleaned it real well and put neosporin on it. Is there anything else I can do? I'm so worried. I've heard vets typically don't do things for babies so young, as there is nothing they can really do. I'm really scared for my baby and hope his leg won't come off or something. Any advice would be appreciated. Please be respectful as I am already beating myself up enough over this. Thank you all in advance.

-one very worried and sad tort mama

Maylin_4_sulcata

Texas
Are the two tortoises together?
Yes they are. I read about having to possibly separate them at some point but I have seen no aggressive behavior between the two and thought that was more of a concern when they are older. I also see breeders and other keepers that keep babies together often as well. :(

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Can you post a picture of the "cut", my first reaction would be to separate them. Many people do keep tortoises together, as do I. However, keeping pairs is not recommended. Could the "cut" be a bite?

Maylin_4_sulcata

Texas
Can you post a picture of the "cut", my first reaction would be to separate them. Many people do keep tortoises together, as do I. However, keeping pairs is not recommended. Could the "cut" be a bite?
Thank you for replying I appreciate it. It looks more like a tear to me? It's in an awkward spot for it to be a bite. Like the part of the leg that's in the shell most often unless they stretch their leg out real good. Seems to be where the crease of his leg is. I ended up resoaking him, putting some neo on it and wrapping up his back leg to keep it clean. That's what I looked up anyway.