Black Widows

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Up here in dem snowbird terratory, dem dadgum widowers don't like us folk too much! Ain't seen one of dem boogers ever in gimme an O-H......I-O country!
Rolling on the floor, clutching my belly. Growing up back in Poland when I was a very young girl I had this image of americans as very worldly, and very sophisticated nation...

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Black widows brown widows we got lots. The brown widow has a unique egg sac they look like a spikey little white sac. Usually a picture goes nice on a post but I am not motivated to do a photo cession with spiders. Wild animals, snakes, rodents glad to accommodate you, but with spiders...not so much.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I found this one this a.m. while I was watering. She's under the eves of my house, and I'm surprised to see her out in daylight, since they prefer dark. Maybe she's dead. Looks like I need to get out my Webster and use it. So many cobwebs!!! I live in daddy longlegs central! But in the evening there are about 10 tree frogs on the side of my house, 'shopping.' ;)

View attachment 178288

She must've been there a very long time. I see at least 3 dessicated spider bodies around the area.

EWWWwww.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Black widows brown widows we got lots. The brown widow has a unique egg sac they look like a spikey little white sac. Usually a picture goes nice on a post but I am not motivated to do a photo cession with spiders. Wild animals, snakes, rodents glad to accommodate you, but with spiders...not so much.

Brown widow are numerous here in the High Desert as well....their webs are distinct just as the Black widow....smaller than the Black and seem to be less aggressive than the Black widows....and the Black widow does come out right in the daylight....I noticed it a bit more over the last couple of years...which was odd to me...I don't believe I have ever seen them out during the day before the last couple of years....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last night, after I made my last trip to the backyard with Misty, flashlight in hand, I thought I'd go around inside and use the flashlight to inspect the nooks and crannies in the house. I have to explain that, contrary to popular belief that I live in a cave and sometimes under a bridge, I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, but I only occupy my bedroom and the kitchen, with the occasional foray into my office to use the computer.

So I'm walking around in the dark, looking under furniture, etc. for bugs and what-not. I found a small black widow at the baseboard in the hardly ever used hall. I slapped her with my flip flop and moved on to the living room. I found a fairly large black widow with a web from the coffee table to the couch. When I set the flashlight down to get my flip flop she scurried up and under the coffee table. I turned on the light and flipped the table over, but couldn't find her. I found another one under the lamp table.

I think I need to pay someone to come over once a day and dance through all the rooms to let the spiders know this isn't a vacant house.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...or maybe I need to dust and vacuum a little oftener! :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, the termite inspection lady was here a bit ago and - WHEW! - no termites, however, she did call my attention to this:

black widow 7-5-16.jpg

Counting the 2x4's from the corner, the first BW and her egg sac are at #2, then count over to #6. There's another one and her sac and yet another at #7. I've never seen this many in all the 20 plus years I've lived here.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
This seems crazy to me. We have them in Michigan but they are rare. I've only ever seen one that I know of. Found a brown recluse once too, but those are also rare. Poisonous snakes are also very rare here. In some ways Michigan is not a bad place to live.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, the termite inspection lady was here a bit ago and - WHEW! - no termites, however, she did call my attention to this:

Counting the 2x4's from the corner, the first BW and her egg sac are at #2, then count over to #6. There's another one and her sac and yet another at #7. I've never seen this many in all the 20 plus years I've lived here.

Looks like you have a wasps nest on beam number three.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

View attachment 179265

Yvonne, here in the High Desert, what you describe is normal....they are very healthy and abundant....I too will do a walk through the house and peek behind furniture/beds/couches and such to make sure none of those crazy broads ducked in when the door was open for a little longer than planned and in the 12 years at this house we have had maybe 8 or 9 found inside on my walk through inspections.... now outside, there is no way to keep track...lots...what I have done to keep the numbers down around our porch/house.....walk around every day or two and use the broom to sweep away any webs from around the house and especially the porch....way out on the property I don't worry as much....unless one jumps out at me...then it is her or me....:eek:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Last night, after I made my last trip to the backyard with Misty, flashlight in hand, I thought I'd go around inside and use the flashlight to inspect the nooks and crannies in the house. I have to explain that, contrary to popular belief that I live in a cave and sometimes under a bridge, I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, but I only occupy my bedroom and the kitchen, with the occasional foray into my office to use the computer.

So I'm walking around in the dark, looking under furniture, etc. for bugs and what-not. I found a small black widow at the baseboard in the hardly ever used hall. I slapped her with my flip flop and moved on to the living room. I found a fairly large black widow with a web from the coffee table to the couch. When I set the flashlight down to get my flip flop she scurried up and under the coffee table. I turned on the light and flipped the table over, but couldn't find her. I found another one under the lamp table.

I think I need to pay someone to come over once a day and dance through all the rooms to let the spiders know this isn't a vacant house.

Oh and one other piece of Black Widow hunting advise, never ever ever....ever take your eyes off of the broad, the "second" you take eyes off of her, they poof....disappear....my poor son, I will holler at him...get me a shoe, hurry hurry....and the entire time I have eye on her...otherwise poof....seriously....

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't really have many spiders here, certainly not like back in England or where i used to live in Thailand.
Oh, I miss them. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like you have a wasps nest on beam number three.

How on earth did you see that? You must have a pretty high resolution screen. The wasp nest is all hatched out and vacant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, here in the High Desert, what you describe is normal....they are very healthy and abundant....I too will do a walk through the house and peek behind furniture/beds/couches and such to make sure none of those crazy broads ducked in when the door was open for a little longer than planned and in the 12 years at this house we have had maybe 8 or 9 found inside on my walk through inspections.... now outside, there is no way to keep track...lots...what I have done to keep the numbers down around our porch/house.....walk around every day or two and use the broom to sweep away any webs from around the house and especially the porch....way out on the property I don't worry as much....unless one jumps out at me...then it is her or me....:eek:

My termite inspection lady told me to mix a little eucalyptus oil in water in a spray bottle and spray areas where I've seen the BW. She said it doesn't last long and has to be repeated often, but it keeps them away.