Black widows! And outdoor enclosures...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So, since moving to sunny Southern California, I have been faced with a new and unsettling resident in the tortoises' outdoor enclosures. We pulled through last summer alright, but now that it's time to get the tortoises back outside, the black widows are back in force!

I know, they present little risk to the torts, nor to me, if I watch my step. Normally I'll give spiders a pass... But I have no such sympathy for black widows.

So... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to kill/repel these evil things, without presenting a health risk to the tortoises?? Bonus points if it will also deter ants!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated... Thank you!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We do night hunts around here every so often, armed with 2x2 or the like tool and a flat board that can flatten and squish.....also, if you run the broom around the inside of the hides/fence lines each day--this kinda messes with them and they don't really set up as readily...

This is a living creature that brings chills to the back of my neck...I actually have one CDT here that if one sets up in his hide he will refuse to go in, this is my sign to go do housecleaning for him or he will sleep outdoors at night--which I prefer he not have to do...then others don't seem to give it much response....

Just get use to the web sound and the shimmer of the web, this will allow you immediate moment to stop before you proceed, both have a distinct sound/look....

Ick, I have had a few around the yard already too....if they are far enough out on the property I really don't pay them much mind, but don't like when they close in near the house ledges and such...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That's about what I did last year. I would go to take in the tortoise and end up spending 15 minutes smashing all the black widows I could get to! Would also sometimes hit them with Diatomaceous Earth--but that would only kill the immediate problem, not prevent the next from settling in to the same spot.

The worst was when one would set up in one of his hides. They have me paranoid--I have to examine the little tort's burrows with a flashlight before I will pull him out at night, and I'm very uncertain about doing the artificial burrows I love with the Leopard tort. :( The Leopard's new enclosure is set up around 2 palm trees, as well, which these evil little things LOVE.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I haven't tried it yet, but I hear they hate peppermint oil and will avoid places where it is. Most, not all, of my black widow problem has been replaced by a brown widow problem. I have tons of lizards out in my enclosures, you'd think they would eat them

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, it is good to check the leg pockets of the torts as you handle them...I had to once dig out a brumating tort that had been partially flooded due to excessive rain (reason the don't brumate outdoors here any longer) and when I pulled him out of the mud cavity, there was a suction noise so of course I had to look and there in that cavity with him was a big ole juicy black weirdo.....talk about flipping the tort and checking leg and neck area....whew....and be aware that they do drop from above ....so keep an eye overhead as well.....ewwww....

I have never tried the oil thing???? Perhaps I will give it a try...

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Try dealing with Black Widows, Brown Recluse and Scorpions. The scorpions were the most freaky when we moved into the house about 10 years ago, but (believe or not) got used to them. As others have said, best way is to hunt at night and squash them. I have a rubber mallet designated as "scorpion squasher", I put a notch on it every time I get one.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have lots of brown widows in my area. They like to make their webs under the 4" lip covering around my tortoise pens. I can't really squash them in that location so I spray them with some hairspray first. It stuns them, they fall to the ground, then I smoosh em'.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think I could learn to live with scorpions. They're still one of few land-dwelling animals that I am very freaked out by (it's not a long list, but it's almost entirely composed of invertebrates!), but at least I have an understanding of them... And they fluoresce! Give me a black light and I'll be OK. But true spiders, particularly those that can legitimately do damage? Oh hell no.

Hairspray... Noted! Stunning is as good a start as any. The leopard's new pen uses those trapezoid-shaped garden blocks. Regretfully, this means lots of little crevices for satan spawn to invade. :(

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I don't have an answer, but do i get bonus points for awesomeness? :D