Big Bertha Doing Great

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Good hope she feels better
Wow! LACTULOSE should work. It is nasty, sticky very sweet syrup that we use a lot in human medicine (commonly used in people with liver failure to keep amonia levels down). If she likes the sweet taste in her fruits you should be able to get her to gobble it with her food. Enemas usually work when the poo is "right there", but some times they just don't and it takes working from both ends to get things going. I wish the Queen good and peaceful rest and once awake from her sedation induced slumber, I hope she gets to make the best poo this world has ever seen

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm uncertain if all is actually well with her.
Five Hours After I Picked Her Up And She's Still Limp And Still drooling.
She's mostly unresponsive.
I hope that something didn't go wrong.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Is she able to metabolize whatever they gave her? Some drugs have pretty long half-life, do you know what they gave her and how much?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
The liquid is called "lactalose".
It might be spelled differently.
I picked her up and she is limp and drooling. They gave her an enema and lactalose. She hasn't pooped. She isn't really even awake.
I placed her inside her indoors tote for some rest and I won't bother her until tomorrow.
Hopefully she'll poo and then eat something that I can put lactalose on. Otherwise I must somehow pry her mouth open.
She also gets her second to last antibiotic injection. I don't want to ad extra stress. It's quite a lot already.
If this works the same in tortoises as it does humans she should clean out rather well. I'm a nurse and work with the elderly, many of my patients are on this, usually to flush high ammonia levels, like 4 doses a day is the norm but my patients complain of diaherra somedays and will skip a dose here and there.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

So do I Ed ,
Hopefully not
See what the vet says today if no change.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didn't get my usual itemized bill, so I don't know what the sedative was. I only know that they always have to give her more than normal because she is hard to sedate.
This morning I touched her front leg and she quickly pulled it inside. She is also 180 degrees from were she was last night, facing west.
I placed her back outside into her night house. I had to be quiet and not wake up Kelly.
She is out of the sedation and when I get home from work, I'll try to feed her some food with the laxative on it....And look for poop. There is still none.
This is also antibiotic shot day.....

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I didn't get my usual itemized bill, so I don't know what the sedative was. I only know that they always have to give her more than normal because she is hard to sedate.
This morning I touched her front leg and she quickly pulled it inside. She is also 180 degrees from were she was last night, facing west.
I placed her back outside into her night house. I had to be quiet and not wake up Kelly.
She is out of the sedation and when I get home from work, I'll try to feed her some food with the laxative on it....And look for poop. There is still none.
Good luck.
An important day for Queen Bertha, I feel.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Its good news she's out of sedation Ed, now just go to wait for the magic potion to work.
Does the vet think she'll be ok with her antib's so soon after sedation and the other stuff?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She is a tough old tort with everything she's been through!
Fingers crossed for her getting over another hurdle.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
She is a tough old tort with everything she's been through!
Fingers crossed for her getting over another hurdle.
She usually gets over the first hurdle then crashes through the next three. Then is found by the fifth hurdle upside down.
Yes. She is tough.