Bearded dragon enclosure?

Linah4

So I was in petland the other day, and saw this:
http://uk.hagen.com/Reptile/Housing/Starter-Kits/PT4033

The one in petland also came with the stand. I REALLY liked this as I have two cats and this is sure to keep my little guy safe from them! There is just a small spot on the one side to place a lamp, also a spot on the inside to put the long tube lights. I think you can get these in UV, right? So the other spot could be for a heating element. Anyways, my question is, would this be ok for my baby leopard? He's only 4-5 months old so just a little guy, and I'm mainly concerned about oxygen. A few other things I'm hoping you can answer, if this would work:

If I put the MVV in that one opening ontop, would that be sufficient uv in the enclosure for him?
Would there be enough oxygen in there for him?

If this wouldn't work, any recommendations on an enclosure I can get for him that would ensure protection from my cats, and also pleasing to look in a living room?

Thanks for any help - much appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I do believe this would work. However, is the wood going to rot too fast with the high humidity leopard need? Bearded Dragons do not need humidity.
A large plastic tote for a hardware store will work too and you can even join them together to make a bigger enclosure and they are much cheaper. If you do get the one pictured, the one hole for one UVB light will be enough and then would try to put a CHE on the inside for night time heat. As for air, each time you open the door to feed, water, do checks, the air will exchange fine.

Linah4

Well, I live in a very low humidity place, so I basically leave water in his enclosure for him and spray him in the morning and few times at night. I am not home for 8-10 hours out of the day, and some days leave at 7:30am and am not back until 8-10pm. So I usually give food in the mornings, then I take him out for a bit when I get home and feed and soak. Thanks for the response :)

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
You could paint the wood first to prevent mold. Mold on wood is so much easier to prevent than to repair.

Linah4

There's an idea, I didn't know paint would prevent that! I didn't think it would mold as the humidity wouldn't be incredibly high and it would be cleaned often. My biggest concern is he wouldn't have enough oxygen and whether or not the lighting would work. I've attached pictures of the exact one I saw. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402295694.415343.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402295713.984882.jpg

Linah4

Sorry to bring up again... But if the doors aren't open for 8-10 hours would the oxygen still suffice?