Beak clipping - vet or DIY? Advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
My tortoise needs her beak clipping. I've never done it before and am contemplating either doing it myself (for which I'd like some advice on how to do it and what with?) or taking her to a vet which I dont really want to do because I just get so worried about him hurting her - accidently of course.

Is beak clipping scary for a tortoise? What would you do if you'd never done it before? And how do you do it/stop their head from retracting?

I've heard of using a regular nail file or a dremmel? This sounds scary!

kjr153

5 Year Member
Someone on here (believe Yvonne) suggested feeding the tort on a stepping stone. It will file it down.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Why don't you have the vet do it and show you how so that you can do it yourself the next time-

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
kjr153 said:
Someone on here (believe Yvonne) suggested feeding the tort on a stepping stone. It will file it down.

She gets fed on an upturned bathroom tile (so the rough side) but it hasnt done any good as she'll just avoid scraping her beak on it.

And thanks Jaizei

mctlong said:
Why don't you have the vet do it and show you how so that you can do it yourself the next time-

Yeah that's a good idea - if I dont have to leave her in that is. Im so worried he'll hurt her, or i'll hurt her if I do it myself. But I've just read the dremmel thread and read you have to hold their head out (which I guess I expected) but I just couldn't do it.

Hmm.... maybe your right and the vet should show me how to do it. Might sound stupid, but do they put them under anaesthetic at the vets? Or do it while they're awake?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
My bad too!

I put it under general discussion because I wanted to know what the majority of people do - vet or DIY? And whether people thought it was easy or difficult to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.