Basking light

shanon1

Some advice please, my 2 year old hermann is staying in a specific corner all day and all night, i relised that in the morning she is quite cold so i went to the shop and asked for advice and they told me to buy a dark spot light which would keep her warmer at night i also bought a devise that helps contol the heat and keep it at a steady heat that i want it to be at , is it possible to only use this dark spot light and the uv light or do i need to keep the spot light aswell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It depends. For normal activity, you need to have enough light by day to convince your tort that it is a bright summer's day. With just your UVB light it may not be bright enough. Torts are also attracted to the light under a basking spot to know where to bask. You may find that he won't bask under a CHE.

The other problem is that you are using a thermostat with the CHE, so it will keep cutting out and won't provide the continuous basking heat needed.

You would do better to abandon your UVB light and replace it with a MVB bulb which will give you a combined UVB source and basking light for daytime use. At night time use the CHE that you have bought to maintain night time temperature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is the overnight low temp in your house?
What is the basking temp, warm side and cool side temp during the day?

I would not use the "dark spot light". Tortoises need it dark at night. The Ceramic Heating Element on a thermostat that JoesMum mentioned will work much better. This will maintain your ambient day and night, wherever you set it. During the day you still need your basking spot and a UV bulb. Are you using the coil type UV bulbs? Those can damage their eyes and are not recommended.

Here is a thread that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/