Back and forth between indoor/outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
So, I may be looking a little too much into this, but it seems to me my tort Tina may be a little depressed after coming indoors.

We spent much of the week outside, hours a day. She loves it, I've never seen her so active. She walked all over the place! Eating some weeds here and there. One day I actually just sat outside having a couple of beers and watching her for hours :)

The weather cooled down and we are back inside. She burrows under her log for a good portion of the day. Temps are fine. She is eating fine, comes out when you interact with her, bright eyed. Just not the same activity level we were seeing outside.

For much of the spring/fall, I foresee us spending days out and nights in (upstate NY). Do any of you feel your torts get "depressed" when the come in, like they've been captured?

Just been thinking about it, any opinions or theories?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally think that we silly humans put to many of our emotions into their actions....I believe that of course they are more active during the day outside---most sun loving critters are.

Out for the day and in for the night, is fine. They after all would have to find a place at night to get out of sight and keep warm anyways...so, no, I do not believe that they feel as though they are being captured every time....I do believe that if you are able to let them out for the daytime hours then in the evenings they would simply put themselves down for the night...no difference...

We can be the sappiest group of folks when we observe out critters...I am guilty of it just the same...but then remind myself it is simply what I am doing and have a laugh....:p:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its hard for a tortoise to make a drastic change like that. Its a lot easier on them if they go out in the morning then in at night. Because at night all they do is sleep anyway. But then when morning comes, they realize they want to go outside.

It may be a little stressful on the tortoise, but he'll soon get used to the idea of having to stay indoors.

Niki

5 Year Member
Mine loves outside. She has an enclosure outside but loves to be free in the backyard. I let her out all day and have been bringing her in at night. She doesn't seem to mind, just goes to sleep. I live in Az so the weather is warming up... I am going to start leaving her out 24/7.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While 'likes' or 'depressed' may not be valid emotions for a tortoise, 'stress' is a real thing, and I think it is pretty obvious that almost any indoor habitat is more stressful than almost any outdoor habitat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the spring and autumn (fall) transition periods, I only bring Joe in once he's put himself to bed for the night and cooled off.

If I bring him inside too soon he'll pace long into the evening, trying to escape. Leaving it late seems less stressful.

He's usually OK about going out in the morning. I think he realises going out follows the bath and breakfast routine at this time of year.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Yeah I'd get depressed if it got too cold and I had to sit inside and drink beer. Not.

They'll be ok.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours get used to going inside at night and don't seem to mind after a while. I will say that they do love being outside far better.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Its so hard to not project human emotions onto them. They're little family members! Makes me feel guilty when I think I've made her "upset" by taking her inside..lol.

What got me thinking is, she seemed so happy outside, and so bored inside. I'm sure its bothering me more than her:)

Waiting for them to cool down at night before bringing her inside is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
... I think it is pretty obvious that almost any indoor habitat is more stressful than almost any outdoor habitat.

I don't agree with this at all. We have had discussions about this right here on the forum several times. Many torts feel intimidated by the great out doors and seem to thrive much better while indoors. They eat better, grow better, bask and sleep more naturally, hide less, etc. This is especially true of babies. When I put my hatchling sulcatas or leopards outside for sunshine they mostly find a bush (edible weeds) and hide the whole time they are out. I do catch them out and about and grazing sometimes, but they are much more cautious (possibly stressed) while outside with all the noises and birds flying overhead and whatnot. By contrast, when indoors they beg for food, almost never hide during the day, and trudge around (making a mess of their water bowl) without a care in the world. They seem to me to feel totally secure indoors and very nervous outdoors.

Now having said all of that, I also have to totally agree with ascott. I just do what I believe to be the best thing for them. Sunshine and outdoors is really good for them, so I just do it. Like Aldabraman noted, over time they just get used to it, just like daily soaking for babies, and they start to be more at ease whether they are indoors or out.

Laurie, what do you do for lighting indoors? Neal has noted a big behavior difference in his tortoises with increased lighting and or more natural lighting on his indoor enclosures. We had a member named Balboa a while back that did quite a few posts on this too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My input is that it has to do with lighting. I noticed similar changes in activity from being brought inside before we had changed our lighting set up as Tom mentioned. Before the change, my temps were spot on and they had plenty of space, they just didn't eat or move around as much as they would outside.

After doing a bunch of research on lighting, we increased the amount of lighting and provided several different types of lighting and now we notice our tortoises behavior indoors is similar to their outdoor behavior.

Reptiles see the world differently than humans do; even the best type of artificial lighting falls short of what natural sunlight provides. If you are only able to have your tortoises indoors, I would recommend as much "good" lighting as you can provide.

Bolboa wrote a really good thread on the subject: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Practical-Lighting-for-Tortoise-Keepers#axzz1eNJ23ZEI

He can certainly help you understand the importance of good lighting better than I could.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Interesting about the lighting. I was concerned about my lighting a few weeks ago. I have the powersun 100W mvb. This is bright and does a good job lighting the hot side of the enclosure. I had been concerned with the lighting on the cool side, so I used a 60W regular house bulb on that side. Unfortunately, that was raising the temperature of the cool side into the low to mid 80's. So I moved it to the warm side and tried to angle the light to the cooler side. There is some background light that comes in through the windows, but we are heavily wooded here and it is not super bright.

I'd like to look more into this lighting issue. What are my other options for light sources that do not have a significant heat output?

That's a very interesting article, Neal. Especially trying to recreate a dawn to dusk day. I am going to read more about this. Thanks for the information.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't remember where I read it...or if I'm even remembering it correctly...maybe Balboa's article says it...but I do believe the MVB's are a little weak on the blue portion of the color spectrum.

In addition to the MVB, I think tube type florescent bulbs are the way to go. Full spectrum and plant bulbs are what we are using.

I am going to be looking at some metal halides this week. I've heard the grow bulbs you can pick up at a hydroponic store are some of the best types of lighting you could provide for reptiles. They are pricey though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to belong in the group who thinks the going in and out IS stressful for the tortoises. I try to make it so once a tortoise goes out, it stays out for that reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
I am going to belong in the group who thinks the going in and out IS stressful for the tortoises. I try to make it so once a tortoise goes out, it stays out for that reason.

I see your point and its a valid one. Kristina and I talked quite about this a while back in reference to baby sulcatas and her Manouria. Some other Manouria keepers chimed in to.

I guess it is not such a simple matter. I think that species, age, origin (WC adult vs. CB hatchling), and the enclosures themselves all play a role here.

For me, I have had the best results by putting them outside for the day, soaking on the way back in, and sleeping inside. I'm mostly talking about hatchlings and yearlings. Once mine hit the juvenile stage they go outside 24/7. But by that point they are used to just about everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.