Setteling in

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
As most of you know ive had my Redfoot MoonPie for about a month now. She poops just about every day now. She eats on a daily basis albeit not much at times but still. She rarely comes out of her hide at all still though. I see so many people talking about how active their torts are and everything and mine just hides all day except when she's eating. Is this normal? Is my tortoise depressed? Or is it just me?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Some are more shy and take a while to get used to things. Sometimes it is missing something in its enviroment to make i comfortable. some want more privacy and hides. Some want less bright light. Make s a few minor changes and see if that helps.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Sounds like personality, nothing is wrong with your tort. One of my sulcatas I've had since a hatchling and now an adult was like this her whole life. Only comes out every couple days or so! Nothings wrong its just her personality. Also things can still change. I'm assuming your tort is a hatchling or youngin? If so, most people don't realize that they'll sleep the majority of the time as most infants of any animal species. Another reason things can still change is she's relatively new to you still. They take a while to adjust. Overall your tort sounds perfectly normal! :)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Arizona Sulcata said:
Sounds like personality, nothing is wrong with your tort. One of my sulcatas I've had since a hatchling and now an adult was like this her whole life. Only comes out every couple days or so! Nothings wrong its just her personality. Also things can still change. I'm assuming your tort is a hatchling or youngin? If so, most people don't realize that they'll sleep the majority of the time as most infants of any animal species. Another reason things can still change is she's relatively new to you still. They take a while to adjust. Overall your tort sounds perfectly normal! :)

She is at least a year to a year and a half old so not really a hatchling anymore right?

Laura said:
Some are more shy and take a while to get used to things. Sometimes it is missing something in its enviroment to make i comfortable. some want more privacy and hides. Some want less bright light. Make s a few minor changes and see if that helps.

The lights is only a 60w not really that bright

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
DanaLachney said:
She is at least a year to a year and a half old so not really a hatchling anymore right?

Correct! But she will still sleep often.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Dusty is the same way. I'm thrilled when I walk in his room and he's sitting on his log or just out from hiding. He's eats and finds one of his favorite spots. He's definitly more active outside but still hides. They could change as they age. 1.5 years old is still very very young for a tort. It sounds like she's settling in nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.