Baby tortoise

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
did you mean wandering instead of wondering?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's not uncommon for them to go walkabout at night.

Is the viv dark at night? It should be. Your tort needs complete darkness to sleep.

What temperatures do you have?

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
It's not uncommon for them to go walkabout at night.

Is the viv dark at night? It should be. Your tort needs complete darkness to sleep.

What temperatures do you have?
Yes it is dark but don't no what temp is at night how do I check and if it's to cool will that make him come out more

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes it is dark but don't no what temp is at night how do I check and if it's to cool will that make him come out more
If it's cold then your tort is inactive. Your tort will only be active with warmth.

The enclosure lights may be off, but is the room dark?

Use a min/max thermometer to find out what temperature it is with the lights off. You can find out the overnight low easily then.

Photos of your enclosure and lights may help us to help you.

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
If it's cold then your tort is inactive. Your tort will only be active with warmth.

The enclosure lights may be off, but is the room dark?

Use a min/max thermometer to find out what temperature it is with the lights off. You can find out the overnight low easily then.

Photos of your enclosure and lights may help us to help you.
Ok thank you il will post some photos tomorrow I don't want to disturb my tortoise now

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yes. Perfect. 80 everywhere in his emclosure is the lowest temp for a baby. 100 shell height is basking temp.
Hermann's tortoises, as well as other Testudo species should not be kept in temperatures as consistently high as 80 degrees. Whether as a baby or an adult, it doesn't matter. Temperate climate species, which include Hermann's and most other Testudo species need cooler temperatures at night than during the daytime to maintain a normal activity pattern. Day to night temperature differential should be 15-20 degrees. Daytime temperatures should not be above 82 degrees except directly under a basking source which should be 90-100 degrees for small tortoises, slightly higher for larger adults. Night time temperatures should be in the 55-62 degrees with as high as 65 being acceptable.
If your tortoise is wandering around at night more than a hour after the lights have gone off and it's totally dark than it's too warm in it's enclosure.
Three major elements dictate all species of tortoises activity level: temperature, light intensity & light duration. When any one of those elements is more prevalent than the others it will often cause a tortoise to be unusally active when they normally wouldn't be.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
@GBtortoises

In a high humidity environment that is recommended for babies, should temperatures be allowed to drop so low at night?

This sticky, like Tom's version, suggests otherwise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
The care sheet is primarily for Russians, which are much more sensitive to humidity.
For Hermanns it's no problem at all, they need even colder night temperatures in autumn and can be hibernated in moist substrate.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The only issues I see is the enclosure is very dry. Too dry for a baby. It would make me nervous to lower temps at night keeping high humidity but I don't have that specific type tortoise.

Also, the dirt has little white things in it which I've heard are bad for tortoises. Most here use Coco choir for substrate.

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
The only issues I see is the enclosure is very dry. Too dry for a baby. It would make me nervous to lower temps at night keeping high humidity but I don't have that specific type tortoise.

Also, the dirt has little white things in it which I've heard are bad for tortoises. Most here use Coco choir for substrate.
im in the UK do u no where I could purchase this coco choir.I bought this substance with my viv and tortoise the reptile dealer said this was ok for my Herman tortoise and what can I do if my enclosure is to dry

Attachments

• IMG_3525.JPG
    IMG_3525.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I've always used normal dirt with sods of grass and weeds. It can't get too dry since you have to water the plants regularly.
Whatever substrate you use, it should be deep enough for the tortoise to burrow into.

By the way, your baby is extremely cute. :<3:

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
I've always used normal dirt with sods of grass and weeds. It can't get too dry since you have to water the plants regularly.
Whatever substrate you use, it should be deep enough for the tortoise to burrow into.

By the way, your baby is extremely cute. :<3:
Do you mean just from my garden and how often would it need cleaned out because I imagine it would smell

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Can someone plz post pics of their enclosurers so I can get an idea of how to keep my own safe for my tortoise